41st annual CMU Public Auction scheduled for Saturday

University-owned items from vehicles to computer equipment will be auctioned off to the public on Saturday, June 24 at the 41st annual Central Michigan University Public Auction.

The auction is scheduled for 9 a.m. with preregistration starting at 8 a.m. in Lot 1 at 275 W. Bellows St.

Each department assesses its inventory to see what items it needs and doesn't need, university store manager Jeff Peavey said. Items deemed too old, in poor condition or just no longer useful to the department are given to the University Store to either be sorted for reuse or prepared for the annual auction.

"One of the reasons this auction is important is because it helps us liquidate assets that are no longer useful to the university," Peavey said. "It gives people the opportunity to buy some stuff they might need at a cheaper price instead of just throwing things away. It keeps our assets out of the landfill."

According to its website, CMU Surplus Sales is responsible for selling the university's surplus and salvage equipment. Surplus equipment is evaluated for quality, function and safety. If an item is unfit or no longer useful to the university, it is sent to public sale. Surplus items that are still in good condition such as office furniture, bookcases and file cabinets are stored and made available to other departments.

Some of the items going to auction this year include more than 10 vehicles, kitchen appliances, furniture, miscellaneous electronic equipment, computer equipment, bicycles, books and apparel. A full list and pictures of the items being auctioned off can be found at sykoraauctions.com

The University Store has worked with Sykora Auction Service Inc. since the auction began 40 years ago.

There will be two rings selling items simultaneously throughout the auction. All items purchased by buyers must be removed from the site by 5 p.m. on Monday, June 26.

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →