Rev It Up Ride raises record funds at 2017 SOMI Summer Games

The eighth annual Rev It Up Ride event for the Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games reached new heights this year.

Rev It Up Ride, which is put on by the Michigan Moose Riders, raised a record $17,430 at its statewide motorcycle ride on Friday before the closing ceremony at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. The money raised will go toward SOMI and Moose Charities. 

District 10 — Grand Rapids area — was the top earning district, raising $2,000. The district has raised more than $13,000 for Rev It Up Ride over the past eight years. James Beardsley, a member of District 10, said the top reason the Moose Riders participate every year is for the athletes.

“That’s how I look at it” Beardsley said. “Working with athletes is amazing. Talking and communicating with them (is) awesome.”

The event starts with members of the Moose Riders driving their motorcycles from the south parking lot of Kelly/Shorts Stadium, making their way into the stadium from West Campus Drive. They then move onto East Broomfield Street and down East Campus Drive, parking their bikes around the stadium.

The members then go onto the field for a meet-and-greet session with SOMI athletes to sign autographs. The members of the Moose Riders were joined by campus police, state police and members of the United States Army for the meet-and-greet session.

Jared Snyder, a bronze medalist in volleyball, said he loved spending time with members of the Moose Riders.

“It’s great,” Snyder said, representing area 12 at his ninth summer games this year.

Snyder's coach, Jim Brye, is in his 14th season coaching for SOMI. Brye’s day job at Herman Miller takes a backseat to his Grand Haven/Spring Lake area Olympians.

“Work tells me ‘hey take the time off that you need to do this’,” Brye said. “I had today and yesterday off to be up here. It's always a good time (and) always rewarding.”