Former CMU guard Rayshawn Simmons joins Keene on Washington Summer League roster

Former Central Michigan men's basketball guard Marcus Keene signed as an undrafted free agent by the Washington Wizards shortly after the NBA Draft.

Keene was added to play in the NBA's Las Vegas Summer League that begins Saturday, July 8. However, he isn't the only former Chippewa receiving an opportunity to play against younger pros and possibly compete for an NBA job.

Former guard Rayshawn Simmons will join Keene on the Wizards summer league roster. The Washington Wizards announced their summer league roster Wednesday.

Simmons suited up for the Wizards during last year's summer league slate.

The 6-foot-4, 185-pounder has spent time playing basketball overseas in the Czech Republic National Basketball league, playing for the team BK Prostejov.

Simmons was a mid-season add to the team that can only have a limited amount of foreigners on one team, according to the Czech Republic rules.

He started an assistant coach for his alma mater Webster Groves High School in Missouri in early December. Simmons then received a text message on New Year's Day from his agent about signing a contract with BK Prostejov and took the offer.

The 23-year-old Simmons played three seasons for the Chippewas after transferring from Moberly Area Community College in Missouri. During his time at CMU, Simmons averaged 8.7 points per game, 3.8 assists and 3.7 rebounds.

The guard served as a team captain for his junior and senior seasons and helped the program win back-to-back Mid-American Conference West championships and an outright regular-season conference title.

As for Keene, who was the country's leading scorer last season, his pre-draft workout on July 6 with Washington was enough to earn a chance with the team.

Simmons and Keene never played together in a CMU uniform. NCAA transfer rules kept Keene out of the 2015-16 season, which was Simmons' senior year.

Other familiar undrafted free agents within the state that are taking part in the Las Vegas Summer League are Michigan's Derrick Walton Jr. (Orlando Magic) and Zak Irvin (Miami Heat).

Keene, Simmons and the Wizards face the Miami Heat, Memphis Grizzlies and Chicago Bulls in the first three games of summer league play. They play at least two more games after those contests, depending on how they do in the tournament portion of the schedule.