Assaults, vehicle theft among incidents reported in crime log

35969_29458_policept

The following incidents were among those handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department and the Mount Pleasant Police Department from Sept. 18-24.

Sept. 24

A 17-year-old boy and 18-year-old man were caught with marijuana in Carey Hall. Officers responded and found four men smoking in the room, said Lt. Cameron Wassman of the CMUPD. Two of them said the marijuana belonged to them. Officers seized 10 grams of cannabis and 0.31 grams of suspected marijuana wax, Wassman said. Charges were submitted to the prosecutor’s office.

A 25-year-old man reported to the CMUPD he was assaulted near the CMU Disc Golf Course. He was walking and was struck from behind, Wassman said. There were two-to-three male suspects involved and the man advised there was nothing said in the past to provoke. There are no suspects identified.

Sept. 23

CMUPD responded to a “suspicious situation” in lot 45, Wassman said. A suspect wrote with pink window paint some derogatory words the vehicle of a 19-year-old man. There is no damage or suspects.

A vehicle parked an unattended in the area of lot 63 east had a shattered windshield. There are no suspects and the damage is estimated at $300, Wassman said. The victim is a 66-year-old woman.

CMUPD responded to theft of a motor vehicle and traffic offense, Wassman said. Officers responded to a report of reckless driving on Broomfield Road near Crawford Road. Police determined the car was stolen from 1720 S. Mission St., where Chipotle Mexican Grill is scheduled to open. An 18-year-old man was taken to jail. The vehicle was owned by a 31-year-old man.

A custodian in Powers Hall reported that someone had accessed the building through the open roof window, Wassman said. Nothing was damaged or taken and CMUPD is looking to determine a suspect.

Sept. 22

A 22-year-old Oak Park man assaulted two bouncers at Encore, The Nightclub. The man assaulted one bouncer and then assaulted another who tried to break it up, said Officer Jeff Browne of the MPPD. The man was trying to push past the first bouncer to gain entry. He had a blood alcohol content of 0.12. He was lodged for assault and disorderly conduct.

A 21-year-old Muskegon man was taken into custody for assaulting a staff member at the Blackstone Bar.

MPPD officers responded to a damage to property complaint. The rear-passenger door on a 2017 Chevy Malibu owned by a 21-year-old Clinton Township man was kicked into, Browne said. 

A rock was thrown into the window of a vehicle in the 1100 block of West Campus Drive. There is an estimated damage of $500 to the sunroof. The victim is a 21-year-old Mount Pleasant woman.

A 20-year-old Mount Pleasant man reported a pair of $120 Ray-Ban sunglasses, a hammock and power chords were among the items taken from his unlocked 2008 Mazda. Browne said there are no suspects.

Two 21-year-old men were cited for disturbing the peace at the 1000 block of South Lansing. Browne said officers were dispatched and heard music coming more than 50 feet from the property line. About 20-30 people were on the roof and trash and debris were present.

Sept. 20

A 21-year-old Taylor man was arrested for operating while intoxicated. Browne said officers stopped a vehicle for speeding and the man failed a field sobriety test, blowing a 0.12. Chemical testing showed BAC of 0.16, Browne said.

A 22-year-old woman reported to CMUPD items were stolen from her vehicle at Northwest Apartments. Items included a passport, $15, sunglasses and a phone charger, Wassman said. There are no suspects.

Sept. 19

Warrants were requested for the arrest of a 40-year-old Mount Pleasant man who is accused of taking books from the Mount Pleasant Veterans Memorial Library, Browne said. The man was taking books without checking them out. 

A 26-year-old Algonac man was cited for consuming alcohol in public outside of O’Kelly’s Sports Bar and Grill. Browne said units pulled through the parking lot and the man admitted to drinking a 24-ounce Keystone Light.

Sept. 18

A 26-year-old Mount Pleasant man was lodged for operating while intoxicated and driving with a suspended license. Browne said the man was crossing the fog line on several occasions. The driver admitted to drinking and had a BAC of 0.16, Browne said. 

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →