Theft, damage to property reported to police officers

35969_29458_policept

The following are some incidents handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department or the Mount Pleasant Police Department in the last week.

Aug. 27

A larceny/theft from a building took place in graduate housing, said Lt. Cameron Wassman of the Central Michigan University Police Department. A 25 year-old man had his social security card and birth certificate stolen, Wassman said. There are no suspects.

An 18-year-old man had a pair of shoes stolen from Barnes Hall, Wassman said. A warrant has been issued for an 18-year-old man. The value of the shoes is $500.

Aug. 28

A 21-year-old woman had a large dent to the side of her car in parking lot 1C, Wassman said. The incident occurred between Aug. 24-28. There are no suspects and it doesn’t appear to have been struck by a vehicle. The damage amount is $1,000.

CMUPD investigated a report of harassment in Herrig Hall. Residents received a note under their door that was racially and sexually explicit, Wassman said. It was not threatening. Police reviewed video surveillance but there are no suspects. The victims are 20-year-old women.

The Mount Pleasant Police Department investigated a property damage complaint, said Officer Jeff Browne. Someone tried to remove a door handle at the 2000 block of Elva and broke the mechanism. There are no suspects.

MPPD investigated a property damage complaint at the 900 block of Douglas, Browne said. There were holes in the wall and bedroom of an apartment and a damaged television. A 22-year-old Carrollton woman knew the man who did it but did not wish to press charges.

An MPPD officer investigated fraudulent use of a credit card at Papa John’s Pizza on Mission Street, Browne said. An order for $28.18 was placed and delivered to a vacant apartment. Afterward, the charge was disputed.

Aug. 29

A 21-year-old woman in Thorpe Hall received a Facebook friend request from an ex-acquaintance who she had problems with in the past. There was nothing threatening but she felt the need to report the incident to CMUPD, who were unable to reach the person involved. He has been identified as a 20-year-old nonstudent.

Aug. 31

A 22-year-old woman had her coat stolen from the Java City coffee shop, Wassman said. CMUPD located a suspect using video surveillance and have reached out to a suspect. It was referred to the Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney with possible criminal charges and the Office of Student Conduct. The value of the jacket, which included headphones in a pocket, is $80. The suspect is a 20-year-old woman.

An 18-year-old woman was caught smoking marijuana in Cobb Hall. Drug paraphernalia and 0.42 grams of cannabis were confiscated, Wassman said. The incident was turned over to the Office of Student Conduct.

Sept. 1

Property damage was reported in the area of parking lot 1. An antenna on a vehicle was snapped off the vehicle of a 20-year-old woman, Wassman said. Video surveillance did not show suspects. Estimated damage is $75.

Sept. 3

A 19-year-old woman contacted CMUPD regarding a suspicious car with a light bar on top near lot 39, Wassman said. She knew who the 21-year-old man in the vehicle was. He had possession of police equipment and a badge. After speaking with the man, CMUPD learned he was a reserve officer in a Michigan police department. He was not doing anything criminal but his actions were strange, Wassman said. CMUPD contacted the man’s department.

An 18-year-old man was caught smoking marijuana in the lot 63 area, Wassman said. He was sitting in a vehicle that was not running. An officer smelled marijuana and confiscated THC wax. The man had a medical marijuana card. He surrendered smoking pipes, two grams of suspected marijuana and 0.01 grams of THC wax. The incident was turned over to the Office of Student Conduct.

Sept. 4

An Aug. 31 incident was reported. A 19-year-old woman in Campbell Hall received a package with an unknown check, Wassman said. The amount was $4,000. There was electronic correspondence that came after the check, which was fraudulent and came from a bogus credit union. There was no financial loss. Wassman said suspicious on-campus activity such as this should be reported to the CMUPD.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →