Amadio's 16 saves not enough as field hockey falls 3-0 to Michigan State

fh-4

Junior goalkeeper Lily Amadio blocks the goal on Oct. 10 at the Field Hockey Complex.

Lily Amadio’s 16 saves were not enough as Central Michigan field hockey fell, 3-0 to Michigan State Tuesday night at Field Hockey Complex. 

The Chippewas' losing streak extended to 28 games and shut-out streak to nine in the process. 

“We saw stand-out performances from Kayla McLure and Lily Amadio,” said head coach Molly Pelowski. “I thought Alex Gonda really brought her game today. I was pleased how she stepped up and was a force in the middle of the field.”

Central Michigan (0-14, 0-3 Mid-American Conference) came out aggressive at the start, but Kendal Anderson’s goal at the 6:59 mark gave Michigan State an early 1-0 start. 

The Spartans (7-7) took control late in the half, adding a Sophie Macadre goal at the 29:42 mark to take a 2-0 lead going into the half. 

The Chippewas were out-shot 25-2, 12-1 on goal. CMU also lost the corner penalty battle, 8-0. Lily Amadio stopped 12 Spartan shots in the first half.

MSU out-shot Central Michigan 13-4 and 4-0 on net in the second half. The Spartans would add a goal from Simone Vagnoni at the 66:42 mark to take a 3-0 lead.

“I like how we adjusted our press in the second half,” Pelowski said. “We were able to reduce some of their attack opportunities.”

Amadio finished with 16 saves in the game, but believes there is still room to improve.

“I (have) to work a bit more on corners with my post player,” she said. “It’s all fixable things.”

Senior backer Harriet Aburn was pleased with the team’s improvements throughout the game.

“Everyone knew on Monday we had to focus on this game,” Aburn said. “We worked really hard to try to attack and put pressure on a good Michigan State team. Over the match we improved and worked hard on our passing game and receptions.”

The Chippewas host Kent State (5-9) at 3 p.m. Friday at the Field Hockey Complex. 

“We’re focused on this (game) right now,” Aburn said. “I know we’ll come out hard at practice tomorrow and challenge each other.”