Halftime BTN: Toledo 17, Central Michigan 0

football1
Sophomore defensive lineman Mike Danna is held by a University of Toledo player during the football game against the University of Toledo on Oct. 14 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

On a wet homecoming afternoon at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, it was clear the the conditions were going to play a factor in Saturday's game. 

In the first half, Toledo’s offense found a way to move the ball. The Central Michigan football team, did not.

After the first 30 minutes of action, the Rockets lead CMU 17-0. 

After a pair of drives that stalled out for both teams to begin the game, Toledo struck first and did it with a big play.

Running back Terry Swanson found a large crease on the right side of the CMU defense and went 48 yards to the end zone, giving Toledo the early 7-0 advantage.

At the end of the first quarter, Swanson’s rushing touchdown was the difference. The Rockets had 95 yards on the ground and a score, CMU only had nine yards on the ground.

After CMU was forced to punt deep in their own territory again, UT took advantage with a 41-yard field goal from Jameson Vest to give the Rockets a 10-0 lead at the 8:49 mark in the second quarter.

With CMU finally starting to gain some ground nearing midfield, CMU transfer quarterback Shane Morris made his first mistake as he was intercepted by Toledo’s Jack Linch for the first turnover of the game.

That led to Swanson’s second score of the game, this one from 22 yards out, giving the Rockets a commanding 17-0 lead at the break.

Neither team has been able to put together anything through the air. Morris completed just 5-of-16 passes for 34 yards with an interception, while Toledo's Logan Woodside went 7-of-12 for 64 yards.

Swanson was the clear difference maker with 18 carries for 118 yards and two scores. CMU as a team, could only manage 15 yards on the ground. 

Here’s a look at the first half by the numbers.

Passing Yards: CMU 64, UT 34

Rushing Yards: CMU 15, UT 152

Total Yards: CMU 49, UT 216

Penalties-Yards: CMU 1-8, UT 1-5

First Downs: CMU 2, UT 10 

Turnovers: CMU 1, UT 0

Highlight of the Half: In a game that hasn't featured much success through the air at all, Toledo’s Diontae Johnson made a great play to pick up a long third down conversion. Woodside found Johnson on the left side of the field and he looked dead to rights, but then he reversed field. Sprinting from sideline-to-sideline he was able to pick up 16 yards and keep the Rocket’s drive alive, which lead to Toledo’s score right before the half.