Man charged with accessing child pornography in Park Library

screen-shot-2017-10-12-at-4-38-16-pm

An Ypsilanti man has been charged with two felonies after police say he was seen accessing child pornography on a computer in the Charles V. Park Library. 

Jeffrey S. Harris, a 53-year-old registered sex offender, was arraigned on Oct. 5 in Isabella County Trial Court. He is facing one count of possession of child sexually abusive material, a potential four year sentence, and one count of using a computer to commit a crime, a potential  seven year sentence. 

Harris was convicted for similar charges in Gratiot County in 2004, according to court documents, and was convicted in 2005 by the US Postal Service for receiving child pornography. 

The Central Michigan University Police Department responded to the Park Library around 4:30 p.m. Oct. 4 after Harris was accused of observing child sexually abusive material. Officers arrested him and took him to jail.

The CMUPD executed a search warrant on Harris’ home in Ypsilanti on Oct. 6. An officer found four ledgers with more than 400 child pornographic websites, 20 DVDs with minors interacting sexually with a man and two laptops that have yet to be examined. 

Harris is currently lodged in the Isabella County Jail. Robert Holmes, the Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, requested that Harris’ bond be revoked. 

“The Defendant’s prior convictions for exploitation of minor children in order to satisfy the Defendant’s sexual preferences, coupled with his continuing entry into similar websites, and possession of child sexually exploitative material, makes the Defendant unpredictable and dangerous,” Holmes wrote to Judge Eric Janes. 

Janes ordered Harris to be held without bond until further ordered. 

Harris is scheduled for a probable cause hearing Oct. 19 and an preliminary examination Oct. 26.