Operating while intoxicated arrests, credit card fraud listed in crime log

35969_29458_policept

The following incidents were handled by the Mount Pleasant Police Department and Central Michigan Police Department from Oct. 9-15, according to Officer Jeff Browne and Lt. Cameron Wassman, respectively.

Oct. 9

• An 18-year-old woman reported that her credit card was taken from her dorm room in Herrig Hall and was charged more than $200. The suspect, an 18-year-old woman, was taken into custody. Charges have not been filed. 
  • Two 19-year-old women were referred to the Office of Student Conduct after officers witnessed them smoking marijuana near Lot 22 around 11 p.m. 

Oct. 10

• Mount Pleasant police investigated a stolen motor vehicle. A 12-year-old juvenile stole the vehicle of a family member, a 52 year-old Mount Pleasant man, and drove it to Clio. There was no damage. Browne said the department has recently investigated seven vehicles that have been stolen, with six due to people leaving their keys in the car. The department has found all seven vehicles and were supposed to go to the crime lab this week for forensic evidence, Browne said.

Oct. 11

• An 18-year-old man was arrested after officers were alerted by Thorpe Hall staff about the odor of marijuana present in the building around 11 p.m. Three 18-year-old women were present at the time and were referred to the Office of Student Conduct. 
  • A 45-year-old Farwell woman was arrested for third degree retail fraud. She admitted to taking $107 worth of items at Meijer. She hid the items under her coat, Browne said, including batteries and TV chargers.

Oct. 12

• Officers arrested a 33-year-old man for disorderly conduct near Washington and Preston streets around 1 a.m. Robinson Hall staff witnessed an intoxicated man pushing his bike in the street. Officers responded and told the man to keep out of the roadway and the man then immediately walked into the street. He registered a blood alcohol content of 0.17. 
  • An 18-year-old woman reported a stolen bike that was last seen at a bike rack near Calkins Hall. The theft is believed to have occurred between Oct. 10 and Oct. 12. The bike is estimated to be worth $600. No suspect has been identified. 

Oct. 14

• An 18-year-old woman was issued an appearance citation after Beddow Hall staff reported smelling marijuana around 12:44 p.m. Officers discovered approximately 3 grams of marijuana in the woman's vehicle where she had dropped it off after smoking. A 15-year-old boy was with the woman in her room. A petition was submitted to court for the boy’s involvement. 
  • A 19-year-old man was cited for minor in possession around 2 p.m. in Lot 63. 
  • A 19-year-old man was transported to McLaren Central Michigan around 2:30 p.m. after police and medical staff responded to reports that the highly-intoxicated man was passed out near the Indoor Athletic Complex. He was uncooperative with responders and was later cited for disorderly conduct. 
  • A 20-year-old man was cited for disorderly conduct after he was observed urinating in public in Lot 73 around 3 p.m. 
  • A 19-year-old man was arrested for minor in possession, obstructing police and disorderly conduct around 4:30 p.m. near the entrance of the Student Activity Center. Officers responded to reports of a fight outside the building, but determined that the man’s friends were attempting to control him. The man was uncooperative, refused to provide identification and pushed officers. 
  • A 40-year-old man was arrested for disorderly conduct after he threatened to shoot a security guard around 5 p.m. in Lot 63. The man asked the guard for a ride home, who responded that he couldn’t but would call a taxi. The man then threatened the guard. Officers didn’t find a weapon on the man, who registered a blood alcohol content of 0.289. 
  • A 19-year-old woman’s dorm room window was broken around 8 p.m. at Fabiano Hall. She reported that she heard individuals banging on the window, which is valued at $250, but ignored the noise. No suspects have been identified. 
  • Around the same time, the 19-year-old man who was transported to McLaren Central Michigan earlier was arrested for assaulting another 19-year-old man at Fabiano Hall. Both men were visiting from out of town and apparently got into an argument at a friends dorm room. 
  • Two 25-year-women that were visiting campus reported seeing two males carrying machine guns around 11 p.m. near the 7-Eleven on Broomfield St., located at 302 W. Broomfield St. The women waited five hours to report the incident and no suspects were found. Officers who questioned the women said their story was inconsistent. Wassman said CMUPD take reports of that nature very seriously.
  • A 25-year-old Ypsilanti man was arrested for disorderly conduct at the 2000 block of Mission Street. Browne said the man tried to start fights and was yelling profanities. He had a BAC of 0.14.
  • A 22-year-old Alma man was jailed for a hit and run, fleeing and eluding and operating while intoxicated. Browne said the incident stemmed from a traffic crash. An officer was working in the area of High and Mission streets and observed a black truck slam into a red jeep. An officer visited the scene, but the man jumped back into his truck, hit reverse and took off. The officer attempted to stop the vehicle and followed him for a couple blocks. He was stopped at Thomas and High streets. He had a blood alcohol content of 0.11. It was one of eight OWI arrests city police made this weekend.
  • A 22-year-old Warren man and 22-year-old Grosse Pointe woman were issued tickets for hosting a nuisance gathering in the 700 block of S. Main Street. There were about 50 people, Browne said. There were trash and debris around the property and underage drinking. Loud music could be heard from more than 50 feet from the residence. They were told to quiet down and didn’t comply, Browne said.
  • A 22-year-old LaSalle woman was lodged for operating while intoxicated and failing to report an accident. Central dispatch put out an alert for a possible road rage incident, Browne said. An officer approached the intersection of Bluegrass and Mission streets and found one of the vehicles involved. The officer stopped the vehicle and the woman was taken into custody. What had happened was the vehicle side-swiped another vehicle in the parking lot of Comfort Inn, Browne said. The woman and another occupant engaged in an argument. She returned to her car and fled the scene.

Oct. 15

• An MPPD officer stopped a vehicle for not having insurance near Broadway and Oak streets, Browne said. Upon stopping the vehicle, the 34-year-old male driver from Mount Pleasant was taken into custody for driving with a suspended license. After a search of the vehicle, the officer found a small bag of marijuana. A 23-year-old Mount Pleasant woman with him had a substance believed to possibly be heroin and was taken into custody.
  • A 23-year-old Midland man was arrested for operating while intoxicated at Brown and High streets. The man was stopped for speeding and failed field sobriety tests. He had a BAC of 0.18.
  • A 22-year-old Mount Pleasant man was cited for allowing a nuisance party and a 20-year-old Mount Pleasant man was cited for allowing a nuisance party and minor in possession (MIP). The gathering occurred at the 900 block of S. University Avenue. There were large amounts of trash and debris in the front lawn consisting of beer bottles, cans and cups. There were smashed pumpkins in the roadway and loud music being played. People were yelling ”(Expletive) the police,” Browne said.
  • A 38-year-old Kalkaska man was lodged for operating while intoxicated – third offense and driving with a suspended license – second offense. It took place at Mission and Illinois. A vehicle went through a traffic stop sign and traveled at 30-32 miles per hour in a 25 mile-per-hour zone. The driver admitted to drinking and had a BAC of 0.13.
  • A 21-year-old Farmington Hills man was arrested for operating while intoxicated at Mission and High streets. The driver admitted to drinking and had a BAC of 0.14.
  • A 21-year-old East Lansing man was arrested for operating while intoxicated at Bellows and Crapo. MPPD was dispatched to a “suspicious situation” of an intoxicated person getting into a vehicle and heading on the roadway. The officer observed the vehicle making an improper turn. After a stop, the driver admitted to drinking. Browne said he was not making much sense. He had a blood alcohol content of 0.22.
  • A 32-year-old Mount Pleasant man was arrested for disorderly conduct at Franklin and Andre streets. Browne said police were dispatched to a man sitting on a curb. He was yelling, screaming then stumbled around and fell. He didn’t know where he lived, where he came from or what day it was, Browne said.
  • A 41-year-old Detroit woman was lodged for marijuana possession and open intox in the roadway. Browne said this happened at Upton and Henry. Police found the woman with 0.3 grams of marijuana and an open can of beer.
  • A 22-year-old man reported that his laptop was stolen around 4 p.m. The theft is believed to have occurred the previous night and could have happened in Lot 62 or in the parking lot of Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort. The laptop is valued at $1,500. Due to heavy rain, surveillance video of the lots are inconclusive. 

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →