Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity temporarily suspended from campus pending Student Conduct investigation

19293_logot

The Gamma Lambda chapter of Phi Kappa Tau is temporarily suspended from operation pending an investigation on whether the fraternity violated Central Michigan University's Student Code of Conduct and the Fraternal Information and Programming Group guidelines.

The fraternity was suspended Thursday, Oct. 5. A suspension means the fraternity is not recognized as an organization at CMU and is banned from booking spaces or hosting events.

Tim Hudson, Chief Executive Officer of Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity and Foundation, said Phi Kappa Tau takes any allegations of violations by chapters seriously. 

"The local alumni volunteers, the regional officer and the executive offices staff are in agreement about the temporary suspension and the need for a thorough investigation into the allegations," Hudson said. "The (CMU) chapter has been encouraged to fully cooperate with the university-led investigation."

Damon Brown, director of Student Activities and Involvement, said his office has an obligation to be transparent and inform students about the status of student organizations. Brown was not able to elaborate on the reason Phi Kappa Tau was suspended citing an ongoing university investigation. He was also unable to say when the investigation will be complete. 

“We want to be able to celebrate the successes of all of our student organizations and the wonderful things they’re doing around campus,” Brown said. “At the same time, when things go bad, we can’t stick our head in the ground and say ‘I don’t see that’ or ‘we’re not going to tell anybody about that.’”

Several organizations have bylaws that state active organizations can’t have events with suspended groups, Brown said, and there are consequences for groups that do. Some students replied to a tweet and criticized the Fraternity and Sorority Life account @CMU_Greeks for “shaming” or “damaging an organization’s reputation.”

On the CMU Fraternity and Sorority Life OrgSync page, inactive organizations are listed to keep students informed about organizations that are not currently recognized by CMU.

Brown said the Office of Student Activities and Involvement could’ve better communicated what the suspension means. This will be revised in the future, he said, and the website will be updated to include more information about suspension. 

“We want to make sure all of our students are kept safe and are able to participate in the fraternity or sorority experience the right way,” Brown said. 

Depending on the outcome of the investigation, Brown said, the suspension could be lifted or Phi Kappa Tau could face further sanctions from the Office of Student Conduct.  

Information will be updated as this story develops.