Pre-Veterinary Club to host 5th annual Doggy Dash 5K Race and Fun Walk

19293_logot

For those who love dogs and want to support a cause, the 5th annual Doggy Dash 5K Race and Fun Walk is scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 21 in Lot 56 near the Education and Human Services building.

The event is sponsored by Central Michigan University’s Pre-Veterinary Club. Registration for the race is $20. 

Participants can either bring their dog or enter into a raffle to “rent” a dog, said Port Huron senior Calli Morris, president of the Pre-Veterinary Club. 

“There will be time before and after to cuddle with the dogs and play with them,” Morris said. “We wanted to make it fair this year, as many people wanted to rent dogs last year, but there weren't enough dogs.” 

If a participant wins the dog raffle, it is a $5 donation to rent a dog. As for the race, there are three medals — one for each place. There is also a costume contest for the best dressed dog with a prize filled with food items and goodies, Morris said. 

The funds raised at the event will go to the Pre-Veterinary Club. The club seeks to do outreach activities such as visit Renaissance Public School Academy to do veterinary education and hands-on learning with kindergarteners and do an education program with the Mount Pleasant Michigan Kennel Club, Morris said. 

Students can support the organization by pre-registering for the race or by buying a t-shirt. More information can be found on the event website: cmudoggydash.weebly.com. 

There is also time to register on race day at 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 21. Water will be provided to runners and walkers throughout the course.