Recreation and event management students coordinate event to raise money, awareness for animal shelter

Christina Amato cuddles with a dog from The Pup of Tea at the Catfe event held on Oct. 18 at The Dreamer Coffee Shop.

Kylee Juday wants people looking for a new furry friend to remember to adopt, not shop. 

The Midland sophomore is one of several students in Central Michigan University’s Department of Recreation, Parks and Leisure Services who teamed up with the Humane Animal Treatment Society shelter and the Dreamer Coffee Shop to host "A Pup of Tea at the Catfe" in order to raise money for the shelter. 

These students are from the class RPL 430: Planning Recreation Programs and Events.

This event took place at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 18 at the Dreamer Coffee Shop in Mount Pleasant. Puppies and kittens from the animal shelter were brought to the coffee shop so customers could meet, greet and play with them. 

There were activities such as ‘pin the tail on the dog’ and a photo shoot with various props. Also, treats from Insomnia Cookies were provided for free and a portion of all money spent on coffee went to the Humane Animal Treatment Society. 

Customers had various opportunities to win prizes, such as a gift card to Olive Garden, upon entering different raffles. 

“We’ve never really done an event like this before but honestly, I’d love to do more,” said Concord junior Isabel Roth, who also helped coordinate the event. 

Juday, Roth and their fellow classmates came up with the idea for this event because of their mutual love for animals. Roth said the day went extremely well and that it was an experience she’ll never forget. 

She also said they had a set goal of 100 people to show up during the event, and this made her nervous, but they exceeded the goal within the first half hour. 

Juday said she and most of her fellow students who put on this event have just signed their Recreation and Event Management major, and this is their first time putting together a function such as this one. 

She wants her fellow students to know that the Humane Animal Treatment Society is always looking for volunteers and for more people to adopt.