Security update requires yearly Global ID password changes

19293_logot

Central Michigan University’s Office of Information Technology is now requiring Global ID passwords to be reset annually.

While the changes began Oct. 9, there is a “grace period” extending to Nov. 8 in which OIT will not force password resets, according to the OIT website.

Students can change their password at any time by visiting the “My Account” page on the CMU website.

Students with passwords older than 335 days will receive a notification when logging on to CentralLink saying their password is set to expire within 30 days. Students who allow their passwords to expire will be redirected to the My Account page when trying to log in. 

The initiative to require password changes has been in planning for years said OIT communication manager Kole Taylor. The decision to move forward with the project was made by OIT staff and Chief Information Security Officer Mark Herron, who was hired a few years ago.

“When it comes to security, there really is no time like the present,” Taylor said. “Since we were able to accomplish something like this, we owe it to the campus community as well as ourselves to do it.”

According to the OIT website, the decision to require yearly password changes was made to improve campus-wide account security while minimizing the amount of inconvenience to CMU students and faculty.