Shepherd man dies after single car accident in Union Township

35969_29458_policept

A 28-year-old Shepherd man is dead following a single car accident early Saturday morning in Union Township.

The incident took place after 2 a.m. Oct. 28 on US-127/northbound River Road, said Isabella County Sheriff Michael Main. The sheriff on Sunday identified the victim as Jeffrey Arnold.

A passerby reported debris in the roadway and guardrail damage, Main. When the passerby investigated further, he found a car had rolled into the median. The person called 911 and reported one man was out of the vehicle walking around, while another man was trapped.

After first responders arrived, they began extrication of the man in the vehicle, Main said. A wrecker assisted with stabilization of the car, a 2017 Chrysler 300c, while the first responders worked to free Arnold.

After Arnold was free, he was taken by Mobile Medical Response to a local emergency department, where he later succumbed to his injuries and died shortly after, Main said.

Markes Gadlen, a 23-year-old Pompeii man, was the passenger in the vehicle, Main said, while Arnold was the driver. Gadlen refused medical attention.

Contributing factors are unknown at this time. The accident is still under investigation.

The sheriff’s department was assisted by Isabella County Central Dispatch, the Mount Pleasant Police Department, the Mount Pleasant Fire Department, Green Towing, the Saginaw Chippewa Tribal Police, the Midland County Sheriff’s Office, Mobile Medical Response, the Michigan Department of Transportation and the Isabella County Sheriff’s Office Accident Investigation Unit.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →