Soccer shutout 1-0 against Ball State in final road game

cmu-soccer-vs-akron-71
Junior midfielder Madison Pogarch sets up to cross the ball into the box on Sept. 29 at the CMU Soccer Complex.

After falling to a winless Miami (Ohio) team on Friday, the struggles continued for Central Michigan women's soccer on Sunday. 

CMU was shut out, 1-0 ay Ball State on Sunday. The Chippewas are now 6-7-3 on the season and 1-5-2 in Mid-American Conference play. Central Michigan remains last in the MAC West Division standings.

"I think overall the effort and fight of the team was pretty good," head coach Peter McGahey said. "We came out in the first half with a pretty good jump in our legs. I thought it was a good game."

The Cardinals scored on a corner kick with 18:18 left in the contest. Junior midfielder Paula Guerrero sent the ball in and it was deflected off the head of sophomore midfielder Peighton Cook for a goal, beating CMU goalkeeper Zoie Reed. 

"I have to credit Ball State," McGahey said. "They took the corner kick at a well timed moment in the game."

Central Michigan had one scoring chance all game. It was a shot on net by Madison Costner, but the ball was saved by Ball State senior goalkeeper Tristin Stuteville. The junior finished with one save and no goals allowed. 

The Cardinals defense also shut down junior forward Lexi Pelafas, who leads the MAC with 12 goals. Pelafas was not able to record a shot all game. 

"They did a great job of moving four defenders in and around," McGahey said. "We created some other good chances, but weren't able to push that goal across." 

Reed was solid throughout the game for CMU, until Cook scored late in the second half. Ball State finished with 13 shots and six shots on goal. Reed, a junior, was called to make five saves. 

Central Michigan returns home to finish the season with three-straight games at the CMU Soccer Complex against Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, and Eastern Michigan. 

"It will be nice to play three games in front of the friendly fans," McGahey said. "At this point in the season, they become like one-game playoff games."