No. 3 CMU Division III hockey extends win streak to seven games

The Central Michigan Division III men's hockey team shakes hands after a goal against University of Michigan-Flint Friday night at the Isabella County Ice Arena in Mount Pleasant. 

No. 3 Central Michigan University Division III men’s hockey defeated the No. 11 University of Michigan-Flint Wolverines, 10-2, Friday night at the Isabella Community Ice Arena.

The Chippewas have now won seven straight games. 

“They boys are buzzing now,” said senior forward Ryan Tyrer. “We’re having a lot of fun right and building team chemistry, but we still need to get better on the ice. We need to pay attention to details. We’re going to have to play better from here on out if we want to have success.”

This was the second game of the weekend between the Chippewas, 17-4 (6-4 in the Michigan Collegiate Hockey Conference) and the Wolverines, 7-8-1 (4-7-1 in MCHC). CMU won Thursday night, 5-2.

cmu d3 hockey gets 17 win and seventh game winning streak with win over u of m-flint, cmu still plays down instead of smashing competition.

The Chippewas were quick to score with a goal by senior forward Nick Wink with less than two minutes into the first period.

About six minutes later, with 12:31 left in the first, forward Joey Simoncelli would get on the board with his first goal of the night and fifth of the season, putting the Chippewas up 2-0.

CMU would continue its first period with success as it put away two more goals, the first being a power play goal by defensemen Justice Bigelow with 9:41 left and the second coming from forward Nathan Algaier with a wraparound, putting CMU up 4-0 heading into the locker room.

Things would change in the second with the Wolverines getting on the board when forward Brandyn Matte would score with just over two minutes having passed, 4-1.

After surviving a penalty kill with 17:43 left to play in the second, CMU would respond with a goal of their own when forward Ryan Tyrer would score, his 13th of the season, putting the Chippewas up four goals again, 5-1.

The Wolverines would score again, this time by forward Connor Phillips, putting the Wolverines closer CMU, 5-2.

But forward Jason Pischke would get his fourth goal of the season when he put one away with 1:56 left in the second, giving momentum back to the Chippewas when the second period would come to an end.

As the third period started up, CMU would put it’s foot on the gas and rack up four more goals to put them up 10-2 and secure the win.

The goals came from senior captain and defensemen James Gleason three minutes in, sophomore forward Shane Agnello just over 10 minutes later, then graduate forward Nathan Algaier not even a minute and a half later at 14:56 and finally senior forward Ryan Tryer at the 18:35 mark with his second of the game.

Head coach James Cadzow was happy with the win, but fears this could be what holds his team back from future success.

“Today, at times, I was still very frustrated with the way we played,” Cadzow said. “I’ve talked about it to several people (and) it’s just scary when we play, with how well we can play, we don’t play up to our potential sometimes.”

The Chippewas won’t play until after Thanksgiving when they take on Saginaw Valley State home at 9:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 1 at the Isabella County Ice Arena.