Mount Pleasant offers seasonal reminders to residents

19293_logot

As snow continues to fall, the City of Mount Pleasant has offered seasonal reminders to its residents.

The city advises property owners to clear their sidewalks of snow, including their mailbox approach, within 24 hours following inclement weather, according to a city press release issued Dec. 13.

Commercial property owners are required to clear sidewalks in business districts within 18 hours after snow, sleet or freezing rainfall, according to the release. The exception is Sundays, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day -- in these cases, snow must be cleared by noon the day after.

Owners must spread enough sand or other abrasive to make travel safe should the snow or ice be too hard to remove, according to the city. As soon as weather permits, owners must clear a path of at least 48 inches in width.

Code enforcement officers can write a municipal civil infraction ticket to commercial property owners who do not comply with the ordinance, according to the city.

Anyone seeking more information can contact Michael Dunham, assistant fire chief, at 989-779-5123 or mdunham@mt-pleasant.org.

Overnight parking on streets and city lot parking is prohibited in non-downtown areas from 2-5 a.m. until April 1, 2018, according to the city. On-street parking is prohibited downtown from 4-6 a.m. all year and those in violation can face a fine.

For those holding parking permits, there are several city parking lots that have designated parking areas where overnight parking is allowed. Anyone seeking information about parking permits can contact the Division of Community Services at 779-5347.

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for Mount Pleasant until 11 p.m. Dec. 13.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →