Women's Basketball topples Aquinas, 96-47 to win fifth straight

cmu-vs-aquinas139
Junior guard Presley Hudson drives past a defender on Nov. 30 at McGuirk Arena.

Head coach Sue Guevara warned her team about a possible trap game on Tuesday. It ended up being anything but that. 

Central Michigan women's basketball rolled Aquinas, 96-47 Thursday night at McGuirk Arena. 

The Chippewas (5-1) have won five straight and are off to their best start in the Guevara era. 

"Aquinas is a good NAIA team," Guevera said. "Once they get rolling in their league they'll be just fine, I just hope we can keep rolling." 

CMU imposed its will against the Saints early running a half-court trap which resulted in five steals. Micaela Kelly stole the ball and scored a layup twice in the first quarter, leading CMU with seven points and two steals. 

Aleah Swary provided a spark of the bench for the Chippewas hitting two quick 3-pointers early in the second quarter. Maddy Watters also contributed off the bench dishing out a number of no-look passes for four assists in the quarter alone. 

"I can trust my teammates, I learned to trust them and trust myself," Watters said. "I needed some confidence." 

CMU took a 61-24 lead into halftime. CMU shot 62.9 percent (22-35) from the field and 53.3 percent(8-15) from deep heading into the break. 

Reyna Frost hit an early mid-range jumper to kick-off the second half setting the tone as the Chippewas refused to let off the gas. Watters continued to facilitate the CMU offense resulting in an 82-33 lead at the end of the third quarter.

"We really play well on the court (together)," Frost said. "Knowing how each other plays and knowing each others habits plays out really well." 

CMU let their foot off the gas in the fourth quarter primarily playing their bench. From there, it was easy riding, as the Chippewas cruised to a dominating win. 

"I was happy with our bench," Guevera said. "They've been contributing but no so much in the score column... seeing us get some things done offensively was good." 

Presley Hudson led the Chippewas with 17 points. Reyna Frost recorded a double-double with 16 points and 13 rebounds and Watters posted nine points and a game high seven assists.

Central Michigan returns to action on Sunday traveling to Rochester to face the Oakland Golden Grizzlies.