Central Review postpones crisis-themed storytelling event in wake of CMU shooting

19293_logot

Following a shooting in Campbell Hall that left two dead March 2, The Central Review will be postpoining its crisis-themed storytelling event until April 10.

“Unwritten: An Evening of Crisis Stories Live on Stage,” the first-ever live storytelling event hosted by The Central Review, was scheduled for 7 p.m. March 12 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda. The event is inspired by The Moth, an organization focused on live storytelling. The show will now take place at 7 p.m. April 10 in the UC Rotunda. 

Central Michigan University's campus was on lockdown for hours March 2 as police searched for shooting suspect James Eric Davis Jr. He was charged with the murder of his parents and possession of a weapon to commit a murder. 

When The Central Review began planning the event in January, the publication wanted to choose a theme that was going to draw people in to perform and would hold the interest of the audience, said Central Review Editor-in-Chief Delany Lemke. The CMU event will include five people telling true stories about their lives that involved "crisis moments."  

“We felt that doing that event Monday, the first day of regular classes after the (Campbell Hall) shooting, would be insensitive," Lemke said. 

The invitation to perform gathered some “very talented storytellers” for the event, said Lemke, a Marysville senior. The organization wants to give the CMU campus some time to heal from the March 2 double homicide that took place in Campbell Hall. 

“My heart’s with CMU and with everyone involved,” Lemke said. “I hope that we come together and come out stronger because of this.”

None of the stories that will be performed April 10 are related to the March 2 events, Lemke said.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →