Catcher Lockwood-Powell shines early in redshirt freshman season

brockman-baseball-4

Redshirt freshman Griffin Lockwood-Powell swings at the ball during the game against Northwestern at Theunissen Stadium on March 16.

Out of Sioux Falls Lincoln High School in South Dakota, catcher Griffin Lockwood-Powell was ranked as the No. 4 prospect in the state.

Redshirt freshman Lockwood-Powell committed to Central Michigan baseball on September 10, 2015. He sat out his true freshman year to save a season of eligibility. 

“Last year was really helpful because I sat out and watched all the guys play,” Lockwood-Powell said. “I learned how the season is and how things go.”

Since stepping on the field in the 2018 season, Lockwood-Powell is batting .404/.489/.525 with one double, one home run and nine RBIs in 16 games played for CMU.

The Chippewas, led by head coach Steve Jaksa, are 4-15-1 to start the season. 

“I’m happy with the way things have started, but I want to win some more games and get things rolling for the team,” Lockwood-Powell said. 

When Jaksa was recruiting Lockwood-Powell, he knew the catcher would be able to swing the ball at the dish. Right now, it is about keeping Lockwood-Powell on the field, as he is dealing with a “nagging” injury. 

“He’s going to hit and will continue to hit,” Jaksa said. “He’s been pretty steady when he’s been able to play. He’s proven to us that he can do it. Now, it’s about making an adjustment back when teams adjust to him. So far, he’s been able to do that.

“I think he’s going to be a good hitter. The thing we need to do is keep him on the field.”

To maintain success at the plate, Lockwood-Powell said he will continue to keep things simple. Plain and simple, he isn’t going to try to do too much. 

“I’m just going to do what I’ve been doing so far,” Lockwood-Powell said. “The three trips we went on were long and we didn’t play the way we wanted to, so I’m excited to get things going. I think things will work out as the season goes on.”

Lockwood-Powell, a 6-foot-2, 195-pound slugger, hit a .375 batting average and a .500 on-base percentage to earn South Dakota High School Baseball Association All-Region and All-State honors during his junior season in high school. 

He also earned the Jorgen Yde Award as a junior, which is presented to the player who demonstrates leadership, sportsmanship and good character. Lockwood-Powell was a state champion in the 2014 season.