Junior Daniel Robinson reflects on first ever Comerica Park home run

Central Michigan junior outfielder enjoys the Comerica Park view as he prepares for playing Oakland University in the Clash at Comerica on April 25.

After taking a first pitch ball, Central Michigan junior outfielder Daniel Robinson took a swing. The result was a two-run homer to the eighth row in the right field seats. 

“I’ve played here five total times and it’s the first time I’ve been able to get one out,” Robinson said. “I’m grateful.

“It’s pretty cool to hit one where (the Detroit Tigers) hit home runs. I have to give credit to my coaches for hammering down our approach and working with us so much.”

The 6-foot-3, 209-pound outfielder’s third inning home run off sophomore right-hander Jared Burkert gave CMU an 11-2 lead over Oakland at Comerica Park in Detroit. 

The Chippewas (16-23-1) continued their dominance throughout the game, earning a 16-3 victory against the Golden Grizzles (11-25).

Coming into the game, Robinson had just one home run to his name this season, along with a .225 batting average, five doubles, one triple and 23 RBIs in 38 games played. 

Robinson, against Oakland in the 8th annual Clash at Comerica, finished 1-for-3 with two RBIs, one walk, one strikeout and one stolen base. He was removed from the game after the sixth inning for a position change. 

Before heading to Mount Pleasant to play college baseball, Robinson lived in Grosse Pointe Woods. He attended Grosse Pointe North High School, which is 15 miles from downtown Detroit. 

“I grew up coming to Comerica Park and I saw a lot of home runs,” Robinson said. “It was nice to get one of my own today. I just have to thank God for it.” 

Robinson’s parents attended the Clash at Comerica to see his home run and a CMU victory.