'American Idol' season 13 runner up to perform, host Q&A session April 19

screen-shot-2018-04-18-at-3-07-01-pm
AMERICAN IDOL XIII: Jena Irene performs on AMERICAN IDOL XIII at the NOKIA THEATRE L.A. LIVE airing Tuesday, May 20 (8:00-9:00 PM ET / PT) on FOX. CR: Michael Becker / FOX. Copyright 2014 / FOX Broadcasting.

A little bit of Hollywood is coming to Mount Pleasant.

Jena Irene, a former runner-up of the 13th season of TV show "American Idol," will performing 9 p.m. April 19 at an in-studio concert for MHTV (Channel 26.2 on-campus; 189 off-campus), Summit Sessions Live’s YouTube Channel and WMHW 91.5 FM.

Irene will also host a Q&A session prior to her performance from noon to 1 p.m. in the Charles V. Park Library Baber Room. Students will have the opportunity to meet with Irene and purchase her CD's.

Aaron Jones, video facilities manager and MHTV Operations Manager, said  during a Centennial Nights showcase, a member of his camera crew ran into Irene's boyfriend. He said Irene was interested in coming to CMU to perform.

"Once (our cameraman) found out Irene was an former runner-up of American Idol, the BCA program knew a majority of students probably know her and take a interest in her," Jones said. 

The Farmington Hills native and was featured on the competitive singing show in 2014. She signed a long-term record deal in April 2015 with Original 1265 Recording, an independent record label based in Detroit. 

In April 2016, she released her debut EP,  "Innocence" and her debut album, "Cold Fame" in June. Tracks from "Cold Fame" will be performed at the live in-studio concert. 

"Cold Fame" was written and recorded six months after Irene competed on American Idol. Through her performances on the show, she generated a fan base of individuals who loved her voice garnering more than 300,000 views on her YouTube videos.

Both the Q&A and concert are sponsored by the School of Broadcast & Cinematic Arts.