Dean of University Libraries Jeff Luzius 'no longer employed' after one year

34511_jab_8130f

Dean of Libraries Jeff Luzius poses for a photo on March 29, 2017 on the fourth floor of the Charles V. Park Library. 

Jeff Luzius is no longer employed by Central Michigan University after spending only one year as its dean of University Libraries.

In an April 5 University Communications press release, Provost Michael Gealt announced Kathy Irwin was appointed dean of University Libraries, effective immediately. 

The release states Irwin replaced Luzius, but gave no reason why Luzius left the university. He began as dean of University Libraries in March 2017.

Central Michigan Life attempted to contact Luzius via email and received the following automated response: "Jeff Luzius is no longer employed at Central Michigan University. For assistance with library business, please contact the Dean’s office at 989-774-3500." 

A phone number for Luzius directed the call to Irwin, who was unavailable for comment. 

Gealt was contacted for comment. The request was relayed to CMU Director of Communications Heather Smith.

In an email to CM Life, Smith said the university does not discuss personnel matters.

In an April 2017 interview with CM Life after beginning his new job, Luzius said he had been a librarian for about 17 years and wanted to promote the library to the campus and community. 

"I’m still sort of in that evaluation mode, so I don’t want to come in and tell people they’re doing this wrong or do more of this," Luzius told CM Life. "I am still learning, coming from the outside. Anything we can do to promote the library, to better service students."  

Irwin was a finalist in last year's dean search and served as interim dean from July 1, 2016 to March 1, 2017. She began as associate dean of libraries in 2013.

"She has demonstrated her leadership across our libraries, including at various points supervising all of the library departments," Gealt said of Irwin in the press release. "Kathy has a strong service ethic; a library user-centered philosophy; and the vision to serve our students, faculty and staff exceedingly well as the role of libraries continues to evolve."

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →