"Threads 2.0: The Evolution" to showcase student designs April 7

Futuristic designs ranging from elegant wedding gowns to rave wear, created by fashion students, will be showcased on the runway during the 20th annual Threads Fashion Show.

The show’s theme is “Threads: 2.0: The Evolution,” in honor of its 20th anniversary. The show will be looking back at the history of fashion and the fashion show, while also looking forward to "the future of fashion."

The 45 minute show is at 8 p.m. April 7 in Finch Fieldhouse. General admission tickets are $12. VIP tickets are $55 and include priority seating, a VIP bag and access to a private reception at 6 p.m. in the Grawn Hall Atrium.  

“We want to look back on our past shows and show how much we’ve transformed and grown from the beginning of Threads,” said Alexis Kelly, one of the show's producers. “When we first started out, students didn’t even design clothing, they just put outfits together. 

“We’ve come a long way since then.”

A Fenton senior, Kelly is one of 44 students in FMD 357, the class that plans and organizes Threads. The show features the work of 21 fashion students modeled by 95 student volunteers.

To honor the production’s 20th anniversary, the students wanted to create an entirely new experience, said Farmington Hills junior and producer Leah Robinson.

“We want to surprise people while celebrating the past, present and future of this organization,” Robinson said. “Threads has always followed the same pattern, and people know what to expect. We wanted to challenge that.”

One thing about Threads that guests can expect to be distinctively different is look of the venue, Finch Fieldhouse. Student producer Alyssa Kohler is in charge of designer submissions, hospitality and the venue. The Flushing junior said she thinks the venue will be “the part of the show that stands out the most from the past.”

When asked what will be different compared to previous shows, Kohler smiled and said, “You’ll see.”

Threads is largely funded by the ticket sales from the prior year’s show. Kohler said Threads is a not-for-profit event. The goal is to make enough money to ensure next year’s students will have the funds to put on the show. 

Students also raise money throughout the year through hosting various events, such as the March 27 Threads Resale event, during which fashion students donated their gently-used clothing to be sold to raise money for the show.

Ian Mull, Threads faculty advisor, said the show also has a number of sponsors, including the Foster Swift and Collins law firm, the College of Education and Human Services and First Impressions, a consignment shop on campus. 

“My ultimate goal is to find one sponsor who would be willing to really (underwrite) the whole cost of the event,” Mull said. “We’ve looked a lot of places, but we haven’t found one yet.”

Last year, Tim Gunn, famous co-host of the reality TV show, Project Runway acted as the celebrity guest judge for the show.

This year, Dior fashion illustrator, Bil Donovan will be attending the show. During the course of the weekend, Donovan will meet with students involved in the show to give them feedback on their work.

Mull said he tries to make Threads seem as close to a New York fashion show as he can. He tries to bring in fashion industry icons so students “can get bigger opportunities that they can’t always get in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.”

Cecelia Alfaro said the hardest part of being a student designer is distinguishing yourself from everyone else and "finding your niche." The Grand Blanc senior said she learned new, innovative ways to create pieces.  

"I incorporated advanced and detailed construction techniques, new digital technology, such as laser cutting, and used experimental fabrics to create a collection that would capture who I am as a designer," she said.

Alfaro said the experience also taught her a valuable lesson she couldn’t have received in a classroom – to not fear failure. 

In her fourth year participating in Threads, Alfaro said she wanted her collection combine all of the skills and techniques she's learned throughout her college career.

"I truly became a better and more talented designer through this collection,” she said. 

Having seen the show evolve during her time at CMU, Alfaro said her favorite part about Threads is seeing the collections students have been working on come together. 

"Seeing the collection that you completely made on your own walk down the runway is an amazing feeling," she said. "The sense of pride and accomplishment is overwhelming."

Tickets can be purchased from any FMD 357 student or Ticket Central.