Chippewas Drafted: Brettell, Cole, Robinson selected in 2018 MLB Draft

michael-brettell
Central Michigan junior pitcher Michael Brettell plays catch at Comerica Park before playing Oakland University in the Clash at Comerica on April 25.

On the final day of the 2018 Major League Baseball Draft, three Central Michigan players were selected.

All three players are juniors with one-year of college eligibility remaining, which can be used if an athlete decides to return to school. 

Right-hander Michael Brettell was selected in the 15th round by the St. Louis Cardinals, right-hander Dazon Cole was picked in the 25th round by the Los Angeles Angels and outfielder Daniel Robinson was selected in the 29th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers. 

From Fonthill, Ont., Brettell led the Chippewas pitching staff. He finished the 2018 season with a 6-7 record and a 4.74 ERA. The 6-foot-3, 210-pound starter pitched in 15 games, of which two were complete games. Brettell struck out 70 and walked 32 hitters in 93.0 innings of work. 

Cole, from Pontiac, Mich., started seven of the 13 games he pitched in over the course of the 2018 season. He was 1-6 with a 4.53 ERA. In 45.2 innings, Cole struck out 43 and walked 27 hitters. 

Central Michigan junior pitcher Dazon Cole warms up before starting in the Clash at Comerica against Oklahoma University on April 25.

At 6-foot-3, 209 pounds, Robinson mashed five home runs and 43 RBI, leading the team. He hit .300 and stole 11 bases. 

The Dodgers have now selected a Central Michigan player in two of the last three drafts. In the 2016 MLB Draft, Los Angeles added infielder Zach McKinstry, who is now playing for High-A Rancho Cucamonga. 

This time around, it was Robinson. The outfielder will likely get some time with the Rookie-level Ogden Raptors before making his way to the Single-A Great Lakes Loons, who play in Midland, Mich.

Central Michigan junior outfielder Daniel Robinson hangs out at Comerica Park before playing Oakland University in the Clash at Comerica on April 25.

McKinstry was picked in the 33rd round and is hit .377 with three home runs and eight RBI for Great Lakes before getting called up to High-A on May 31.