Bonamego, players react appreciatively to Antonio Brown's Madden cover selection

springgame-bens-14

Professional footballer Antonio Brown makes an appearance during the spring game on April 21 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Not many NFL players see an opportunity to become the face of Madden video game cover in their careers.

Yet when the news broke last week about former Central Michigan wide receiver Antonio Brown receiving the 2019 honor, the Chippewas were not surprised.

“His story is so unique in itself of how he got to Central, what he did here and now what he’s done in the NFL,” Bonamego said at MAC Media Day. “It goes to show it’s not how you start off it’s where you finish. (The Madden cover) is an opportunity of a lifetime for him, it’s really cool.”

The news broke on June 18 from EA Sports and Brown announced the news on his Twitter. Snoop Dogg, Jimmy Kimmel and other major public figures congratulated him over social media.

In 2017, Brown led the NFL with 1,533 receiving yards for the second time in his career (2014). This helped him gain the cover honors and join the Madden 99 Club, which is only for players who receive a 99 overall rating in the game.

"To be on the cover is a real honor I've wanted to always have because I have so much connection with the game," Brown told ESPN. "Growing up as a kid I played Madden all the time, was being inspired by the players in the game. And now to be on the cover, it's a special feeling."

He attended CMU from 2007-09, where he caught 305 passes for 3,199 yards with 22 touchdowns. Brown also had four scores on the ground with 531 yards. In the NFL, he has compiled 733 receptions, 9,910 yards and 59 touchdowns in 115 games from 2010-17.

“I’m really happy for him being able to represent us with that kind of achievement, he’s like the best wide receiver in the game,” said CMU tailback Jonathan Ward. “Coming from the MAC and showing out for the MAC. That’s the really cool thing cause of where he came from, it’s a kids dream to be on the cover of Madden.”

Senior linebacker Malik Fountain said it’s cool to know he was sitting in the same seats he does at CMU and it gives him a good feeling. 

“(Brown) coming back reinsures us this really is a family,” Fountain said. “Once you leave, you are still a part of a family. Once you alumni, you come back and show the boys a good time and that you had success in your life.”

Ward agreed that it’s encouraging Brown returns to Mount Pleasant after gaining this much success.

“I’m sure he has a very busy schedule and coming back and showing love to us is a really big thing,” Ward said. “A lot of people feel too famous for us little town people, but him coming back and showing love to us, yeah that’s amazing.”

Brown will aim to make his fifth consecutive Pro Bowl (six all-time) and fourth straight First-Team All-Pro (four all-time) in the upcoming 2018 NFL season.