Field hockey earns first win since 2016, and first win of season, under new head coach Catherine Ostoich

Team's upperclassmen were moved by victory, are determined to maintain a winning culture

img-2845-1

The Central Michigan field hockey team poses for a group photo after their first win of the season against Saint Louis in New York. (Courtesy Photo | Catherine Ostoich)

New field hockey head coach Catherine Ostoich has led her team to victory for the first time this season in a 1-0 win against Saint Louis. 

"The best part about it is when you look in to (the players) eyes and they are like, 'Okay, we've got one win. But, we aren't done,'" Ostoich said.  

The win in New York marks field hockey's first win since Sept. 3, 2016 against Quinnipiac. Last season, the Chippewas did not record a win under former head coach Molly Pelowski. Now, the Chippewas hold a 1-1 record after losing the season opener to Colgate, 1-0. 

After a slow start, Ostoich said she called a timeout 10 minutes into the first period to sort out some things with her team. Later in the first period, the Chippewas scored their first goal of the season off of a corner. Senior midfielder Leah Umberger finished a chance from the corner taken by sophomore midfielder Cara Satre. 

The first half goal proved to be the game-winner after fifth-year senior goalkeeper Lily Amadio made four saves to record her first shutout of the season. 

"Lily just had a phenomenal game," Ostoich said. "This senior class has wanted this type of culture for a while. I think that they all came out on fire today." 

Ostoich said the reaction from the team's upperclassmen was very emotional, but they are determined to keep a winning culture and keep this up. The Chippewas play two games from Sept. 2-3 in Philadelphia, then return to Mount Pleasant at 3 p.m. Sept. 6 for the first home game of the year against Pacific. 

"The girls stepped up and decided that we weren't walking off the field without a W today," Ostoich said. "I'm proud and very happy for them."