Academic Senate updated on reorganization initiative

0f4a8096

Interim Senior Vice Provost of Academic Affairs Ian Davison gives a presentation to the Academic Senate on Sept. 25 in Pearce 127.

Ian Davison provided updates on Central Michigan University's academic reorganization during the academic senate's Sept. 25 meeting.

The Interim Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs hasn't spoken to the senate since last spring, so he explained some changes that had been implemented. This summer, the board of trustees approved college and departmental recommendations, and a lot of those suggested changes already took place.

Davison said several departmental changes will be made throughout the 2018-19 school year, and all of those changes should be complete by July 1, 2019. 

In May, Committee II made recommendations about improvements to the Counseling Center. It advocated for a significant increase in funding and staffing. Davision said President Robert Davies will soon make a decision about how much the funding should be increased.

The reorganization effort will be heavily focused on improving advising. Davison said he hopes there for more hands-on advising for all students at CMU.

"The goal is to create context for a campus-wide discussion about advising starting next academic year," Davison said.

The reorganization committees will continue to meet throughout the school year to discuss all unresolved issues.

Additionally, two faculty members were nominated for two of the senate's Shared Governance and Communications Committee-- Jiafei Yin and Mark Hwang.