Mitchell's Gourmet Deli and Market brings Michigan-made food to Mount Pleasant

mitchells-deli-4

Mitchell's Gourmet Deli and Market on Sept. 18 as seen from the corner of Remus Road and Lincoln Street, where Scoops Ice Cream Shop used to be.

Mitchell’s Gourmet Deli and Market offers warm food, warm smiles, and a variety of Michigan-made products. 

The deli serves warm sandwiches and several specialty pizzas. Michigan-made meats, cheeses, nuts, and popcorn line shelves and refrigerators. Employees and owner Dean Mitchell greet customers as they walk in the door and make conversation with the regulars.

The deli’s has been open since Aug. 31, located on the corner of Lincoln and Remus roads in Mount Pleasant, and its original location in Shepherd has been open since November 2013.

The delis are owned by Dean and Jamie Mitchell, who feel the corner location is right where they need to be.

“We feel that this deli and what we do is our mission on the corner,” Dean said.

The tentative hours for the Mount Pleasant location are 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 8 a.m. on Saturday. The deli is closed on Sundays.

“We’ll give this community everything we’ve got for six days a week, all we ask is that we are allowed one day to be together as a family,” Dean said.

The Mitchell's were inspired to open the first location because of their experiences traveling to Grand Haven. The “Michigan-made feel” and friendly attitude of the area was something they wanted to bring to the Shepherd community, Dean said.

Now, they’re excited to bring that experience to Mount Pleasant.

“When these doors opened here, we felt like we were led to be on this corner where we can hopefully make a difference in this community,” he said.

The Mount Pleasant community is just as excited to have the deli around – the Facebook post announcing the opening of the Mount Pleasant location received nearly 300 comments and 900 shares.

“It’s great to see everyone happy about us bringing something to the west side of town,” Dean said.

Mount Pleasant residents Jennifer Hirsch and Diane Julian decided to stop by after seeing the signs for the store go up. Hirsch ordered the “Hippie Chick,” a sandwich with chicken, avocado, spinach and Swiss on a ciabatta bun. Julian ordered the “Surfer Boy,” a sandwich with smoked turkey, bacon, avocado, spinach and ranch cream cheese on a brioche bun.

Michigan-made meats and cheeses fill a counter inside Mitchell's Gourmet Deli and Market on Sept. 18.

“This sandwich is amazing,” Julian said. “Really good.”

Hirsch was excited about the new deli’s because it meant another place to order pizza.

“I’m excited to order pizza from these guys because I’ve tried every place in town,” she said. “It’s great to have another pizza place.”

Besides hot food and fresh deli products, Mitchell’s caters and offers gift baskets. They also have their own line of “Mitchell Made Chocolates,” which include cake pops, caramel clusters and chocolate peanut butter dipped pretzels.

The menu also has gluten-free and vegetarian options. They are looking into introducing vegan options as well, Dean said.

The menu and information about catering and gift baskets are available online at www.mitchellsgourmetdeli.com.