German poet Eva Zeller to visit campus Oct. 31-Nov. 1

The Meijer Visiting Writer Series is bringing a German poet to campus this week.

German poet Eva Christina Zeller will host a poetry reading at 8 p.m. Nov. 1 in the Charles V. Park Library Baber Room. The event will also include a book signing, a book sale and refreshments. 

This event is hosted by the creative writing program through the Meijer Visiting Writers Series and a grant through the Meijer Foundation. 

Zeller is a creative writing teacher at the Leibniz Kolleg at the University of Tübingen in Germany. She has earned several awards for her writing. 

Her books include "Auf Wasser schreiben" and "Die Erfindung deiner Anwesenheit," both written in German. She won the Baden-Württemberg Prize for the Support of Writers in 2014. The prize includes 20,000 euros - roughly $23,000.

As a writer-in-residence, Zeller has traveled all over the world, including New Zealand, Switzerland and Italy. 

“Eva Christina Zeller is a poet I read with when I was in Germany a few years ago when I was invited to give a reading in the town of Esslingen. I am thrilled that she is coming to CMU to share her award-winning poetry and her experiences with translation,” said Robert Fanning, an English language and literature faculty member.

Zeller will also host a roundtable discussion about how to translate poetry at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 31 in Pearce 332.

Zeller's visit is sponsored by the department of English language and literature, the department of world languages and cultures and the Office of International Affairs.

Both events are free and open to the public.