Sen. Stabenow visits CMU ahead of Nov. 6 election

dsc-0464

Incumbent U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow visits Central Michigan University ahead of the Nov. 6 midterm election Oct. 24. Standing in front of her green and blue re-election sign, Stabenow expresses the importance of the upcoming election.

Community members and students gathered on the campus of Central Michigan University in an Anspach lecture hall to meet U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow. 

A hardy "Fire up chips!" was the first thing uttered into her microphone.

Incumbent U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow is up for re-election, facing Republican John James in the Nov. 6 midterm elections. 

Sen. Stabenow and her campaign have been touring Michigan, visiting Mid-Michigan universities like Ferris State University and CMU. With help from the University and the College Democrats Association, Stabenow stopped at CMU Oct. 24 to rally students and educate them on the issues plaguing Michigan.  

Miranda Margowsky, Stabenow's press secretary, said the event was arranged to “rally the troops.” 

"It is important to decrease the distance between legislatures," said Regional Manager Michel Pigeon. "(Politicians) aren't just on TV but are willing to come out to meet (students)."

At the event, Stabenow called the upcoming election the most important election of her lifetime.

"In America the great equalizer is election day," she said. "It doesn't matter if you've got a billion dollars or a nickel, you're a major corporation or a student ... everyone gets a vote."

Stabenow prides herself on being a "protector of the Great Lakes, a champion for health care and an advocate for Michigan agriculture."

People of Michigan are makers and growers, Stabenow said, and Michigan should make sure it is strongly moving forward in those areas. She said she is committed to ensuring Michigan is a destination for "the jobs of the future."

“After graduation, I would like you to stay here (in Michigan),” Stabenow said to students in the audience.

Jerry Hilliard, a candidate for U.S. representative, was also at the event and was given a chance to express his thoughts on the upcoming election.

"(This generation of voters) is going to change the world," Hilliard said. "It's just a matter of how soon they get around to it."

Stabenow was raised in Clare and later attended Michigan State University, graduating with a bachelor’s and master’s degree. She now lives in Lansing where she is a member of Grace United Methodist Church. 

Stabenow was inspired to first run for office after leading a successful effort to stop the closure of a local nursing home, she said. At 24, Stabenow was elected to the Ingham County Board of Commissioners and two years later was elected chair of the board.  

Stabenow was elected to the Michigan House of Representatives from 1979 to 1990 and to State Senate from 1991 to 1994. In 1996, she was elected as a U.S. Congresswoman and made history in 2000 when she became the first woman from Michigan to be elected to the U.S. Senate. Stabenow is now Michigan’s senior U.S. Senator. 

She has six offices around the state and Stabenow said she remains responsive to Michigan residents having issues with federal programs, fighting to get the resources that local communities need. 

Central Michigan Life recently reached out to candidates John James and Debbie Stabenow to learn more about their platforms. Their responses can be read in this CM Life article.