Behind Enemy Lines: Q&A with Toledo LB Richard Olekanma, WR Cody Thompson

img-3110-2
Toledo linebacker Richard Olekanma and wide receiver Cody Thompson pose for a portrait on June 24 at Mid-American Conference Media Day.

Central Michigan Life's Evan Petzold spoke with Toledo linebacker Richard Olekanma and wide receiver Cody Thompson to preview Central Michigan's noon Nov. 23 game against the Rockets at Glass Bowl Stadium.

Toledo finished with an 11-3 (7-1, Mid-American Conference) record in 2017. The team fell to Appalachian State in the Dollar General Bowl, 34-0.

The last time the Rockets took on CMU was Oct. 14, 2017. The Chippewas lost the game at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, 30-10.

Led by coach Jason Candle, Toledo is 6-5 (4-3 MAC) in the 2018 season, losing to Miami (FL), Fresno State, Eastern Michigan, Buffalo and Northern Illinois.

Throughout the 2018 season, Olekanma has 70 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, one interception and one fumble recovery. Thompson has made 41 receptions for 566 yards and 10 touchdowns. 

Olekanma and Thompson discuss preparing for Central Michigan in this exclusive Q&A.

Richard Olekanma

Central Michigan Life: What do you know about Central Michigan football?

"Anytime we go up there or they come down here, it's going to be a dogfight. We have to be ready to play."

Of your three games against CMU, is there one that specifically stands out?

"The (2017 game) because of how rainy the weather was, but that's football. We have to be ready to play at the end of the day. Muddy games on defense are the most fun because we don't have to worry about losing the ball. We get to hit and tackle, so that game was a lot of fun."

CMU coach John Bonamego could play two different types of quarterbacks in Tony Poljan and Austin Hergott. Does that make it difficult to game plan?

"It's more difficult because they have more weapons, so we have to put checks on them. It's different than if someone is just a pocket passer, but we do a good job of week-to-week game planning. We have scout guys who will emulate that."

Is it an advantage that young players have to step up for CMU due to injuries to veterans in recent weeks? 

"We don't think about it. We know they lost guys, but they are still a Division I football team with lots of talent. We can't sleep on anybody."

Cody Thompson

"Last year, I was injured and sitting on the sidelines in the pouring rain. Central Michigan always makes for a good game. When they come to us, it's a high-octane game. They are well coached and play hard. They will always give you their best shot."

The Chippewas have been through three starting quarterbacks this season. Does that change the way you prepare for them?

"It doesn't change the way we prepare. We practice like we are playing their best, especially with Central Michigan. We know they will come prepared."

What are you expecting from the young defensive players CMU has to feature due to recent injuries?

"Those young guys are going to have to step up and make plays to fill other shoes. You get a guy for three or four years anyway, so the next guy has to be ready. We have to prepare like we are getting their best."