Delta Phi Epsilon raises money for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation with 'pieing' event

dsc-0509-9
Grand Rapids sophomore Brynna Gani prepares to pie sophomore Mia Jelovac at Delta Phi Epsilon's "Pie a Delta Phi" philanthropy event on Wednesday, Nov. 7.

Sororities Delta Phi Epsilon and Alpha Sigma Tau each held philanthropic fundraising events on Nov. 7. 

Delta Phi Epsilon held “Pie A Delta Phi” to help raise money and awareness for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, a non-profit "established to provide the means to cure and control cystic fibrosis," according to its website.

Cystic Fibrosis is a hereditary, life-threatening disease that affects cells that produce mucus, sweat, and digestive juices by causing these fluids to become thick and sticky. They then go on to clog up passageways and tubes throughout the body. 

“Cystic Fibrosis affects a lot more people than you’d think,” said Canton Senior and member of Delta Phi Epsilon, Lacey Ives. “It makes it really hard for people to breathe and that’s why we feel like it’s really important to raise money and awareness for it.” 

This event was held from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and allowed people to come and pie a member of the sorority for $1. 

Farmington Hills junior Jordan Aranowski is covered with whipped cream after being pied at Delta Phi Epsilon's "Pie a Delta Phi" philanthropy event on Wednesday, Nov. 7.

The event was held right outside the Alpha Sigma Tau house located on South Washington Street in 30 degree weather. 

Ives described the turnout for the fundraiser as slow when the event first started, but said that it started to pick up as the evening progressed. 

This event was one of five Delta Phi Epsilon events this week intended to raise money and awareness for Cystic Fibrosis. 

On Monday, the sorority held a tabling event to teach people about Cystic Fibrosis and a social media contest. They also held a male beauty pageant on Tuesday in Pearce Hall. 

On Thursday, Nov. 8 they will be hosting a Cystic Fibrosis dinner at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house from 6-1 p.m. 

Rochester Hills Sophomore and Delta Phi Epsilon member Amanda Lewis said that being a part of this initiative gives her the opportunity to make a difference. 

“It’s a great way to not only get involved in the community, but also help others that you probably wouldn’t on your own.” Lewis said. 

Students gather at Delta Phi Epsilon's "Pie a Delta Phi" philanthropy event to pie sorority members on Wednesday, Nov. 7.

Just across the street from the Delta Phi Epsilon fundraiser, Alpha Sigma Tau held their 10th grilled cheese fundraiser, a two day event meant to raise money for Pine Mountain Settlement School located in Harlan County, Kentucky. 

According to The United States Census Bureau, Harlan County is one of the nations most impoverished areas with a poverty rate of about 37 percent and a median household income of just over $25,000. Pine Mountain Settlement School is a community center that provides education, food and other resources. 

Yesterday's fundraiser was held from 5-9 p.m. in the Alpha Sigma Tau house. Tickets for the event were $4 before the event and $5 at the door. Members of the sorority were stationed inside the house collecting money and serving grilled cheese to those in attendance.  

Junior Ellen Wegener and president of Alpha Sigma Tau had visited Harlan County and said he saw firsthand where the money is going to. 

“Raising money for me is a personal experience because I know where it is going toward and I know how much it impacts the people of Harlan County.” Wegener said.

The sorority sends roughly 20 members to Pine Mountain Settlement School every spring break to volunteer, according to Wegener. 

Alpha Sigma Tau will be hosting the second day of the grilled cheese fundraiser from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.