American Chemical Society to offer lab tours for undergraduate students Feb. 15

0f4a6662
Chemistry demonstrations line the tables of the chemistry booth on Sept. 22 in the Biosciences Building.

The American Chemical Society will host research laboratory tours for all students that are interested in meeting research faculty and getting involved in lab work at Central Michigan University.

The event will start at 3:45 p.m. Feb. 15 in the Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow College of Health Professions Dow Science Building, room 135. 

This event is primarily focused towards students studying chemistry and biochemistry and provides them with the opportunity to meet faculty early on in their undergraduate career, so they can get involved in research at a younger age. However, all students are welcome. 

Students will tour each lab and get to chat with the other students who are involved in the lab, providing new students with insight on what it is actually like to work in that lab. 

The ACS has hosted this event for a few years now and has seen an increase in students involved in research labs as a result. 

“What I’ve seen is that people actually start to get into labs and to talk to professors more because they realize it’s not such a scary task,” said Jacob Lentz, Sturgis junior and president of the American Chemical Society.

These tours can help specifically science majors find a lab to get into that will fulfill their research requirements to graduate. Moreover, getting involved in research as an undergraduate is a great tool to have on both resumes and graduate school applications, Lentz said.