SGA to hold Bystander Behavior workshop to discuss prevention, intervention

dec-3-sga-5

Student Government Association Senate Leader Caroline Murray speaks at the final SGA general board meeting on Dec. 3 in the Bovee University Center Auditorium.

Central Michigan University Student Government Association is holding a Bystander Behavior Workshop as part of their “Stamp Out Aggression” campaign. The event will take place at 7 p.m. Jan. 29 in the Bovee University Center Mackinaw Room.

At the event, Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity representatives, SGA members and Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates will lead a discussion on bystander behavior, prevention and intervention with students. They will also examine statistics on male and female sexual assault on campus and the available resources offered at Central.

“For me, (bystander behavior) is a very important topic to discuss, as we are trying to put an end to rape culture, and addressing it is the first step,” said SGA Vice President Lyndi Rose. “I’m hoping to see a positive dialogue between students, faculty, and any other members of the Mount Pleasant community.”

The Bystander Behavior Workshop is this semester's first event-initiative of the "Stamp Out Aggression" campaign, which aims to educate and assist students.

Throughout the semester, SGA will also be tabling around campus and getting students to take a pledge against sexual aggression.