CMU grad to lead DNR under Gov. Whitmer

daniel-eichinger
Daniel Eichinger

A Central Michigan University alumnus will serve as the director of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources under Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

Daniel Eichinger, a 2014 CMU graduate, was named to join Whitmer's cabinet days before her Jan. 1 inauguration. 

A Lake Isabella resident, Eichinger graduated from CMU with a master's degree in public administration. Before that, he graduated from Michigan State University with a bachelor's degree in political theory and master of science in fisheries and wildlife. 

Prior to leading the DNR, Eichinger's served as executive director of the Michigan United Conservation Club from 2014-2018, according to his LinkedIn Profile. 

He was employed by CMU as the associate director of Leasing and Regulatory Services from March 2012 to July 2014.

Eichinger's had previous experience working for the MDNR, serving as Legislative Liaison, Policy and Regulations Unit Supervisor, and Assistant to the Chief of the Wildlife Division in the span of five years and two months between 2007-2012.

From 2004-2007, Eichinger served as a policy advisor for Lt. Gov. John Cherry. 

Eichinger joins other members of Whitmer's cabinet that were named in a press release posted by Whitmer's transition team on Dec. 27. Other cabinet members selected include the director of the Michigan Department of Transportation, Department of Environmental Quality, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, State Police, Department of Corrections, Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Department of Insurance and Financial Services and the Office of the Children's Ombudsman. 

“Dan is a trusted leader in the conservation of Michigan’s abundant natural resources and outdoor heritage,” Whitmer said in the press release. “He has the broad experience needed to bring innovative ideas and also successful implementation of conservation efforts and recreation opportunities here in the state.”