Analyzing how CMU exploited Eastern Michigan's sensational 2-3 zone defense

dsc-0110

Central Michigan senior guard Larry Austin Jr. dribbles past Eastern Michigan 6-foot-11 center Boubacar Toure on Jan. 29 at McGuirk Arena.

Remember the extended 2-3 zone defense Syracuse displayed throughout its 2013 NCAA Tournament run under coach Jim Boeheim?

Most people invested in college basketball do, as it caught the attention of fans, teams and coaches across the nation.

In an 86-82 victory against in-state rival Eastern Michigan on Jan. 26, the Central Michigan men's basketball team got a taste of Boeheim's 2-3 zone. However, it was coached up by EMU's Rob Murphy.

CMU coach Keno Davis, a former coach in the Big East Conference, believes EMU, not Syracuse, has the strongest defense he's ever seen due to its length, size and tenacity.

"It's the best zone defense I've gone against," Davis said. "When they've got really good players out there, you don't see a zone defense that disrupts you more. They disrupt you more than Syracuse."

The Eagles pose a starting lineup that features 6-foot-9 forward Elijah Minnie, 6-foot-10 forward James Thompson IV and 6-foot-11 center Boubacar Toure. EMU's sixth man, forward Ty Groce, is 6-foot-7.

"It's unlike any other 2-3 zone," Davis said. "It's even different than the way Syracuse plays it in that they are so extended. They don't worry about the back of the zone with lob passes because of their length.

"Just to be able to pass it around to the corner, there's so much trouble because of the way they play. It's almost a four-out, one-in zone. We've spent a lot of time on it."

Unable to penetrate due to EMU's extension, the Chippewas were forced to settle for 3-point jumpers early in the game. It didn't help that CMU's lone reliable big man, Rob Montgomery, was in foul trouble throughout most of the game.

But Davis, starting midway through the first half, began looking to senior guard Larry Austin Jr. at the high post to break the zone, which was the catalyst to a four-point win.

Here's how CMU's offense survived and advanced past the tough Boeheim-like zone defense from the Eagles:

Setting the Extended 2-3 Zone

Eastern Michigan featured a tenacious extended 2-3 zone defense against Central Michigan on Jan. 29 at McGuirk Arena. In this picture, EMU is setting up the defense with two guards up top and the wings extended to the 3-point line.

EMU opens up with two guards at the top of the key in tandem formation. The pair are the 2 in the 2-3 zone, even though they aren't standing parallel to each other.

A traditional 2-3 zone has three players down low. EMU, like Syracuse, pulls both wings toward the 3-point line, leaving the center as the only player underneath the basket.

For the Eagles, guard Kevin McAdoo starts at the top of the key, about two steps in front of fellow guard Paul Jackson. The two wings – Minnie and Thompson – are extended out to the 3-point arc. Meanwhile, Toure is the safety inside.

When Groce is in the game, he's interchangeable with Minnie and Thompson at the wing. If Toure is out, Thompson fills in underneath.

CMU's First Pass

Eastern Michigan featured a tenacious extended 2-3 zone defense against Central Michigan on Jan. 29 at McGuirk Arena. In this picture, Shawn Roundtree Jr. makes a quick pass to David DiLeo (top), who dishes the ball to Larry Austin Jr. at the high post.

Central Michigan runs with a starting lineup of Shawn Roundtree Jr. and Austin as the guards. David DiLeo is a 3-point specialist, Kevin McKay is a slashing forward and Montgomery works as a center.

The Chippewas played unconventional against the Eagles, featuring Austin as a guard at the high post for a mismatch.

Having Austin at the high post created an opportunity for CMU's speedy 6-foot-2, 182-pound guard to slash and score on a 6-foot-11 center.

"That's option one, two and three," Davis said of finding Austin at the high post. "We were going to move the ball around until we got to the high post because they take everything else away. We didn't run any plays. We stressed patience and being sharp with the ball."

When Roundtree and DiLeo bring the ball up the court, Austin begins low and eventually races to the high post. Montgomery and McKay fill in the short corners but are free to move around to help space out the offense.

When DiLeo throws the ball to Roundtree at the wing, McAdoo – the defender closest to half court – jumps to the pass. The guard behind him, Jackson, drops down to help cover the high post, but he isn't too aggressive.

In a simultaneous motion, the far side wing – Minnie or Thompson – hedges up until McAdoo secures Roundtree. Eventually, that player sags back near the edge of the paint to defend an entry pass to the high post. If a skip pass is made to the other sideline, everyone has enough time to retreat.

To beat the extended zone, Roundtree, the ball handler in the picture above, snaps a pass to DiLeo.

On the pass back to DiLeo at the top of the key, EMU's defense finally opens up. While everyone resets, Austin is open for a split second.

The quick pass to Austin at the high post creates a 1-on-1 matchup.

Passing to High Post Player

Eastern Michigan featured a tenacious extended 2-3 zone defense against Central Michigan on Jan. 29 at McGuirk Arena. In this picture, Larry Austin Jr. knocks down a step-back jumper due to a mismatch against 6-foot-11 Boubacar Toure.

Once Austin receives the pass, EMU switches into a hidden man-to-man defense.

Since Austin is defended by 6-foot-11 Toure, the guard has three options. It gives him a mismatch for a step-back jumper or drive to the bucket. If he drives and an EMU wing falls back in help defense, a Chippewa teammate is open for a corner 3-point shot.

"With Larry's quickness and ability to finish, we felt he would be able to create," DiLeo said. "He's matched up with a center, so he can take him. He also leads our team in assists, so he can find open shooters."

When EMU's wing dropped down to play help defense, Austin typically found someone for a 3-pointer. The Chippewas were 10-of-25 from downtown, and DiLeo paced the team with three triples.

Austin finished with 13 points, seven assists and six rebounds. He turned the ball over just three times, of which one was against Toure.

How Did CMU Beat It?

Taking down EMU's extended 2-3 zone started with ball movement and ended with hitting the Austin at the high post. 

The Chippewas did just that.

Davis said he's been focused on the high post execution to defeat EMU's zone defense for years. Bringing in Austin, a hard-nosed guard, this offseason delivered success against the Eagles in the first matchup of the 2018-19 season.

"It's always been our focus against Eastern Michigan," Davis said. "We've got some players that can do more in taking it to the basket and kicking it out."

CMU (15-6, 4-4 Mid-American Conference) has a rematch against the Eagles (9-12, 3-5 MAC) at 7 p.m. Feb. 26 in Ypsilanti.