Preview: Women's basketball takes on Kent State, ready to bounce back

kjt-8388
Central Michigan head coach, Sue Guevara, talks to her team following a timeout during a game against Miami of Ohio on Wednesday, Jan 16.

Presley Hudson got back in the gym just 23 minutes after Central Michigan's 70-67 Mid-American Conference loss to Miami (Ohio) on Wednesday.

On Saturday, Jan. 19, Hudson leads the Chippewas (12-4, 3-1 MAC) back into action on the road against Kent State at noon.

The Golden Flashes are 10-5 on the season and 3-1 in conference play, losing to North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duquesne, Wright State and Ohio. Kent State's loss to the Bobcats, 83-81, occurred on Wednesday.

"You want to get back on the horse," said CMU coach Sue Guevara. "You want to right the ship. Our players understand what we have to do."

In CMU's loss to the RedHawks, Hudson missed all five of her 3-point attempts and was 4-of-16 from the floor. She had six turnovers, which tied her season high. The 5-foot-3 senior guard received pressure from senior Leah Purvis, Miami's top defender.

"I think it was just an off night for me shooting-wise," Hudson said. "And then turnover-wise, I just wasn't very smart with the ball.

I kind of expect (pressure) from games past and from last year. I just embrace it and challenge myself to get better each and every practice."

Hudson is currently 37 points away from breaking the all-time program scoring record, currently held by Crystal Bradford, who scored 2,006 from 2011-15.

When Hudson took the court shortly after a poor performance, she immediately showed her resilience. As a leader for the Chippewas, Hudson said she hoped others will follow suit.

Guevara agreed, adding she had a 90-minute film session with Hudson, senior forward Reyna Frost, sophomore guard Maddy Watters, redshirt sophomore guard Micaela Kelly, freshman center Jahari Smith and sophomore forward Kyra Bussell.

"You're down, how quickly can you get up?" Guevara said. "This team, they were hurting (on Wednesday) and they know what they have to do to not have a repeat performance."

The Chippewas have three players in double-digit scoring – Hudson (20.9 points per game), Frost (18.6) and Kelly (14.1). For Frost's game, she also averages a double-double, adding 12.2 boards per contest.

CMU also has four players shooting over 40 percent from 3-point range. Hudson's made 58-of-140, Kelly's put through 33-of-74, Watters has connected on 32-of-77 and Frost, still working to expand her range, is currently 21-for-49 from beyond the arc.

Scouting Kent State

Three Kent State players average double-digit scoring numbers – redshirt junior guard Megan Carter (15.3 points per game), freshman guard Asia Dingle (13.4) and freshman forward Lindsey Thall (10.0).

Led by third-year coach Todd Starkey, the Golden Flashes are the third-best defensive team in the MAC. His group holds opponents to 60.6 points per game and ranks sixth in scoring at 68.2 points on average.

Follow its game against Kent State, CMU travels to Toledo for a 7 p.m. Jan. 23 battle. The Zips are 10-5 overall and 2-2 in the conference.