Gymnastics finishes as runner-up at Denver quad

gymnastics-jan-11-12

Central Michigan University Gymnastics Head Coach Jerry Reighard watches a gymnast compete during exposition during the CMU vs. Illinois State University meet Jan. 11 at McGuirk Arena. 

Normally, the floor exercise is the best event for Central Michigan gymnastics, but it was the exact opposite Saturday.

The Chippewas traveled to The Mile High City to take on Denver, Sacramento State and Texas Woman's University in a quad taking place in Hamilton Gymnasium. Losing in the event, CMU falls to a 6-1 record.

CMU finished second behind the eighth-ranked Denver, scoring a season low of 193.250. The Pioneers took the win with a dominant 196.175 score. Sacramento State and TWU tied for third at 190.150. 

Senior Denelle Pedrick competed in the all-around but struggled as she posted a 9.475 on the balance beam and a 9.425 on the floor, normally two of her better events. She did, however, lead the team by scoring 9.750 and 9.725 on the uneven bars and vault, respectively. 

"I think there were several contributing factors," said CMU coach Jerry Reighard. "One thing we knew was going to happen was that the altitude affected us a lot more than we expected."

The Chippewas scored 48.150 on the floor, which they averaged 49.113 coming into the trip. CMU managed to post scores of 9.7 or better with sophomore Nora Fittinger leading the way with 9.875. 

On the bars, Pedrick led the way and fellow senior Abbie Zoeller was right behind with a 9.725. Senior Kailey Miller and sophomore Kennedy Johnson each contributed a 9.700 posting. 

CMU scored their second-highest total on the vault with a 48.400 with a pair of 9.725 postings from Pedrick and junior Sydney Williams. Freshman Sierra Demarinis and sophomore Kennedy Johnson were close behind with 9.700. 

Senior Skyler Memmel led the Chippewas with a 9.775 on the beam, with a 9.725 contributed from freshman Morgan Tong. 

Pedrick finished fifth in the all-around with a 38.375. 

Next up, the Chippewas open Mid-American Conference competition against their rival Western Michigan Jan. 27 in Read Fieldhouse.