Annual philanthropy event Sigma Freeze to take place this weekend

rusco_sigmafreeze-5

Member of Sigma Chi celebrates after a goal during the Sigma Freeze hockey game on Feb. 16 at Isabella County Events Arena. 

The Sigma Chi fraternity is hosting the fifth annual Sigma Freeze this weekend on Feb. 1 and Feb. 2. 

This charity event will include a broomball tournament between all 11 sororities and a total of three hockey games at the Isabella County Events Arena.

Attendees can buy a $15 wristband that will provide access to the events throughout the weekend or an $8 ticket for each individual event. 

Sigma Freeze is on Feb. 1 and Feb. 2 this weekend.

Last year, Sigma Freeze raised a total of $18,627 for the Huntsman Cancer Institute, a cancer research facility on the campus of the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. The fraternity hosts another event called "Derby Days" in the fall, which raised $37,000. 

“When we put on a philanthropy event, there is an expectation that we deliver impressive results,” Sigma Freeze Chairman Matt Albrecht said. “At the end of the day, we’re just proud to be able to directly help Huntsman accomplish their mission to be the generation to end cancer.”

Sigma Chi is trying to involve the community and university by encouraging involvement from local businesses and asking for their participation through sponsorships. 

“The Sigma Freeze is still a fairly new event that we are trying to turn in to something the entire Mount Pleasant community can enjoy,” Albrecht said. "Cancer is something that almost everyone has been affected by. It’s a cause that can easily bring everyone together."

Assistant Sigma Freeze Chairman Garret Diola agreed that the goal was to work together with the community and university. 

"I am in awe of how members in different communities work hard together to help put on this great event," Diola said. "The pure generosity of so many individuals and businesses from all over the state who donate their hard earned money is amazing."

Kappa Sigma will face off Beta Theta Pi in the first hockey game for the charity event. Kappa Sigma's president, Camrin Gutekunst, said the fraternity is happy to be one of the four participating in the event.

"It’s an absolute honor to be having all this fun while raising money for a great cause in Huntsman Cancer Institute," Gutekunst said. "Cancer is such an impactful topic for a lot of us in this chapter, with myself included, as my mom currently battles her fight with cancer. It feels so great and effortless for so many of us because we truly love this cause and organization."

The event has already raised $1,510 in individual donations to the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Sigma Freeze donations can be made at hope.hunstmancancer.org.