Baseball wins sixth straight game, sweeps Cardinal Classic

jab_6322

Pitcher Zach Kohn cheers on his teammates on March 24 at Theunissen Stadium.

For the third time in four games, the Central Michigan baseball team scored 10-plus runs and extended its winning streak to six consecutive games.

Led by a three-RBI home run from senior right fielder Jacob Crum, the Chippewas (6-2) took down Lamar (4-4) 10-6 to complete a four-game sweep of the Cardinal Classic in Beaumont, Texas at Vincent-Beck Stadium. 

Lamar out-hit CMU 16-10 but left 11 runners on base. CMU's 10 hits brought them to 45 hits total for the Cardinal Classic. Along with the homer from Crum, sophomore shortstop Zavier Warren also tagged a solo home run to right-center field.

CMU is on pace to clobber its home run total of 12 last season with a total of five through just eight contests in the 2019 campaign.

Warren and junior third baseman Zach Heeke each had two RBIs on one hit apiece. Senior catcher Griffin Lockwwod-Powell, senior first baseman Evan Kratt and sophomore left fielder Chase Rollin also each hit a run home, respectively.

On the hill, it was junior right-hander Zach Kohn (2-0) leading the way by earning a victory over five innings of work. He allowed nine hits and four earned runs with two strikeouts and a pair of walks.

Kohn left the game with an 8-4 advantage, and the team never relinquished the lead.

Sophomore right-hander Cameron Miller and junior right-hander Logan Buczkowski combined for 3 1/3 innings of shutout baseball in relief of Kohn. Freshman left-hander Ian Leatherman got roughed up, allowing two runs in two-thirds innings of work.

The Chippewas will aim to keep the winning streak intact when they travel to Kissimmee, Florida over Spring Break for eight games. 

CMU will start with Hofstra at 12 p.m. on March 2 and then a 3 p.m. matchup with Butler. The other six games are against Pittsburgh (March 3), back-to-back games with Saint Peter's (March 5 and 6), Mount St. Mary's (March 8) and back-to-back contests with Villanova (March 9 and 10) to wrap things up.