Football to play just two weekday games; full 2019 schedule unveiled

dsc_0320

Central Michigan football fans expressed their disappointment follow a 31-17 loss to Toledo on Saturday, Oct. 22 at the Glass Bowl. 

One season ago, controversy surrounded the scheduling of Central Michigan's rivalry game against Western Michigan, as it was on the same day as the perennial Michigan-Michigan State matchup.

That's not the case this time around.

The Chippewas, who finished 1-11 in 2018, take on WMU on Sept. 28 in Kalamazoo. Meanwhile, the Wolverines and Spartans battle on Nov. 16 in Ann Arbor.

At Kelly/Shorts Stadium, CMU will play Albany (Aug. 29), Akron (Sept. 14), Eastern Michigan (Oct. 5), New Mexico State (Oct. 12), Northern Illinois (Nov. 2) and Toledo (Nov. 29).

On the road, the Chippewas will take on Wisconsin (Sept. 7), Miami FL (Sept. 21), Western Michigan (Sept. 28), Bowling Green (Oct. 19), Buffalo (Oct. 26) and Ball State (Nov. 16).

CMU, under new coach Jim McElwain, has two weekday games and 10 Saturday games. Of the 12 games played in 2018, just one was on a weekday. In years prior, CMU was often the highlight of mid-week MACtion – games played on national television on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday throughout the season.

"We are all very excited at Central Michigan University to show just how important college football is in the American lexicon," said CMU Athletic Director Michael Alford in a press release. "The experiences of the game, from all perspectives, is truly remarkable. The passion for the game, with its rich and colorful history, is deeply rooted in all of us."

The Chippewas bye week will take place between Northern Illinois on Nov. 2 and Ball State on Nov. 16. CMU's final game of the season takes place the day after Thanksgiving, also known as Black Friday.

Homecoming is on Oct. 12, as CMU takes on New Mexico State.

Around the MAC

The 150th anniversary of college football is on Wednesday, Nov. 6. 

While all other conferences are playing after the anniversary date, the MAC is the only conference to host a game on that specific day. The matchup features Ohio against Miami at Peden Stadium in Athens, Ohio.

“We are extremely excited for the opportunity to celebrate 150 years of college football and to be the only Conference playing on the actual anniversary date of November 6th,” said MAC Commissioner, Dr. Jon A. Steinbrecher.  “The MAC has such a rich history in college football and we have the opportunity to join our programs and great fans to celebrate this 2019 season.”

MAC Football Media Day is July 23, the conference announced. It will serve as the official start of the 2019 season.

Eight nonconference teams that finished in the AP Top 25 poll are set to take on MAC opponents – Ohio State (vs. Miami), Notre Dame (vs. Bowling Green), Kentucky (vs. Eastern Michigan, Toledo), Syracuse (vs. Western Michigan), Penn State (vs. Buffalo), Cincinnati (vs. Miami) and Iowa (vs. Miami).

Big Ten opponents: Illinois (2), Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin (2)

Atlantic Coast Conference opponents: Miami (FL), North Carolina State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse.

Southeastern Conference opponents: Auburn, Kentucky (2), Vanderbilt

Pac-12 opponents: Arizona State, Utah

Big 12 opponents: Kansas State

Independent opponents: Notre Dame, BYU, Liberty, New Mexico State, Massachusetts.

Here is CMU's full 2019 schedule:

vs. Albany (Thursday, Aug. 29)
at Wisconsin (Saturday, Sept. 7)
vs. Akron (Saturday, Sept. 14)
at Miami FL (Saturday, Sept. 21)
at Western Michigan (Saturday, Sept. 28)
vs. Eastern Michigan (Saturday, Oct. 5)
vs. New Mexico State (Saturday, Oct. 12)
at Bowling Green (Saturday, Oct. 19)
at Buffalo (Saturday, Oct. 26)
vs. Northern Illinois (Saturday, Nov. 2)
at Ball State (Saturday, Nov. 16)
vs. Toledo (Friday, Nov. 29)