Baseball's Crum wins MAC Player of the Week

brockman-baseball-1
Junior outfielder Jacob Crum hits a foul ball during the game against Northwestern at Theunissen Stadium on March 16.

Jacob Crum of Central Michigan has been selected as the Mid-American Conference Player of the Week for baseball.

The St. Johns senior outfielder led the Chippewas to a 4-0 weekend in Beaumont, Texas with two home runs, 10 RBIs and a .389 batting average in the Lamar Cardinal Classic. 

Both of his home runs drove in multiple runs, led by a grand slam in CMU's 12-3 win over Prairie View A&M. Crum added a three-run home run in the Chippewas' 10-6 win over tournament hosts Lamar. 

On the young season, Crum has a second-best .323 batting average on the team. He leads the team with 10 RBIs and the two home runs he hit last weekend puts him in a tie for the team lead. 

Nate Thomas, the MAC Pitcher of the Week, of Northern Illinois recorded a win and a save as the Huskies went 2-2 in the Mule Mix Classic in Tennessee. Thomas allowed only one batter on base in 3.2 innings pitched. He recorded six strikeouts and no hits.

The Chippewas are currently 6-2 and riding a five-game winning streak. 

They will play eight games in nine days in Kissimmee, Florida over spring break. They will open that stretch against Hofstra on March 2, from there, they will play Butler, Pittsburgh, Saint Peter's twice, Mount St. Mary's and Villanova twice.