College of Medicine to provide free health services at new health fair

19293_logot

The Central Michigan University College of Medicine will provide free health care for patients in the community during a health fair from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., March 16 at Mount Pleasant City Hall.

All ages are welcome at this event, and no insurance is required. 

Services that will be available include vital checks, diabetes screening, fall risk screening, heart screening for children and adults, medication reviews, mental wellness screening and primary care physician referrals. Educational services will also be provided as well as HPV vaccines, said Miami second-year medical student Katherine Antillano. 

“Not only are we giving screening free, but also  screening to the community," Antillano said. "At the end, (the patients) are going to have a plan of what to do."

Antillano said there will be an “exit station” where social workers will be to help set up any necessary future care for patients. They made this “exit station” because other health fairs provide free screening but no follow-up appointments for the patients. 

There will be about 90 different volunteers at the health fair including physicians, medical students and other health care providers who will all be readily available to assist patients, Antillano said.

This is the first time the College of Medicine will be hosting the health fair. The initiative to have this fair came from students. Antillano hopes it will become an annual event. 

Mount Pleasant City Hall is located at320 W. Broadway Street.