"The Launch Project" kicks off with boundary workshops Feb. 5-6

The "Boundary Setting" segment will take place again Wednesday at 3:30 p.m.

Care Advocate Courtney Roberts hosts a workshop through "The Launch Project" Feb. 5 in the Bovee University Center Lake Erie Room. 

The Central Michigan University Care Advocates kicked off the fourth-ever semester of "The Launch Project" in hopes of promoting transparent, non-oppressive relations on campus – but received no attendance. 

The six-week series commenced Feb. 5 with a presentation from Care Advocate Courtney Roberts, called "Line in the Sand: Boundary Setting," in the Bovee University Center Lake Erie Room. Although the event was open to the CMU community, no one attended.

The segment was meant to emphasize the importance of open discussion and declining requests in order to maintain healthy connections, time management and personal growth. 

The segment will also be presented Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. in Room 305 of the Bovee University Center, which is open to the CMU community. 

While The Launch Project was founded by Whitney Brooks-Huntoon, a care advocate to the North Campus residential area, Roberts said the development of the program has evolved into being a point of pride for the five-person advocacy team. 

“The goal of it is for students to come in and spend an hour with us and walk away with tangible skills and tools they can use to set boundaries in their life, whether it’s personal or professional,” Roberts said, explaining the program exists as an hour-long session to discuss any disturbances students may be troubled by. 

Roberts said the methods and strategies used in the series are centered on frequent movement and unfiltered conversation amongst peers. 

The program is meant to be hands-on, allowing students to move around through activities while learned content related to the program. 

"We don’t just want to stand and lecture at (participants), they get that in class all day long," Roberts said. "Instead, we ask how do we make this as user-friendly as possible." 

The Launch Project will offer five more sessions this month. The next segment of presentations will be centered around communication and relationships with "Text and Tinder," which will take place Feb. 12 and 13. The final installment will be about stress management, called "Self-Care: Get Some!" and will take place Feb. 19 and 20. 

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →