CMU students, performers gather to "make waves" for Flint

kjt-9727

Detroit junior Jaylin Anderson raps in front of an audience during the Make Waves for Flint fundraiser on Feb. 16 in Pearce hall.

The third annual “Making Waves For Flint” charity show raised money to benefit Flint through music and poetry Feb. 16 in Pearce Hall 127. 

Hosted by the Central Michigan University Justus League, the event will donate all funds raised to a Flint high school for any of their needs during the ongoing water crisis.

Flint senior Danielle Horton performed poetry at the event. She took the event as a unique opportunity to represent her home city and attempt to make things right for those who live there.

Horton said she uses the arts to create change. 

“When it comes to the Flint water crisis a lot of people want to get involved for clout," Horton said. "A lot of the celebrities and the people who’ve donated and supported, they were there, but then they left, and the issue is still there.

"This is me being able to give back to my city.”

Horton thinks that the event will function to help others while also proving that young people can make a difference.

“Our generation, we’re not lazy,” said Horton. “I think this is us showing up and showing out, like, look, we really mean what we say we’re gonna do. We don’t necessarily need the celebrities to support us. We have local artists here who are just as talented who are willing to share their voices, share their talents for a good cause, and we’re gonna make a difference.”

The event featured performances from several CMU artists such as Horton and the gospel choir.

Detroit senior and head of Justus League Ahsha Davis thought that the event went even better than it has in the past.

“The crowd was happy, a lot of people were excited about donating, we got a lot of donations which is awesome, and it doesn’t really stop here,” said Davis. 

The Justus League will continue to collect donations throughout campus in the next few weeks through change bins. Those who don’t have physical change can still donate via Cash App and Venmo (contact Davis at davis8am@cmich.edu).

“Making Waves For Flint” was another in the series of Black History Month events taking place on-campus throughout February, with the next being the Black History Game Night on Feb. 18, sponsored by Collective Action for Cultural Unity.

Jackson senior Grant Williams, who attended the event, found that it was an experience in unification.

“Reinforcing the issue is a big thing,” said Williams. “You want your voice heard -- numbers. A lot of people, large quantities in big areas can be felt."