Positive psychologist speaks to CMU students about passion

Positive psychologist Daniel Lerner speaks to students and community members in Warriner Hall's Plachta Auditorium March 18.

Positive psychologist Daniel Lerner was invited to speak at Central Michigan University for the annual university speaker series Monday evening in Plachta Auditorium.

Lerner’s presentation focused on educating attendees on how to obtain success and happiness in a healthy way.

“The idea of doing things that we love is essential for living happy lives,” he said. “For the students that are out there thinking about what it’s like to be a doctor or lawyer, don’t think like this. Think about what it means to be yourself and do what you love.”

He informed the audience on how some of the richest and most successful people are not happy. According to his research, 60 percent of doctors would not recommend their occupation, and lawyers are more likely to become depressed than people who work in any other field. 

“I hope that students can walk away understanding that deciding to pursue success does not mean that they must leave well-being and happiness behind,” Lerner said. “In fact, there is a way to have an extraordinary balance when we are pursuing something we are passionate about.”

Many students had the opportunity to speak one-on-one with Lerner about how to apply his teachings and studies to their lives.

“I have type one diabetes and asked Lerner how I can learn how to look at my illness in a positive light,” said Woodhaven freshman Natalie Wolney. “He told me to recognize what I can’t do but don’t let that get me down. He said to educate people who judge me, and it is not my fault they are not informed on my illness.”

Psychology faculty Lynn Sweeney said she believes Lerner's strategies have helped many people achieve their goals, which is what CMU wants for its students.

Lerner expressed the importance of knowing the difference between harmonious passion and obsessive passion and how this dictates whether your success is healthy or not. 

Harmonious passion is when one does something because they love it, and obsessive passion is when one does it for others, glory, status and money. Lerner used Steve Jobs as an example of someone who pursued obsessive passion and lived an unhappy life regardless of his success. 

“If you are feeling so down you can’t pick yourself up, go to the campus wellness center and talk to a professional because they are here to help you,” Lerner said.

Lerner told the audience that this year, 90 percent of college student have felt overwhelming stress, 59 percent felt very sad, 45 percent felt things were hopeless, and 31 percent felt depressed.

“Lerner told us that stress is just a way your body deals with doing something new and exciting,” said Detroit sophomore Brianna Hatch.

Lerner said he believes that strong relationships with friends and family, finding healthy hobbies and harmonious passions are important for everyone’s success. 

He warned students not to dwell too much on obsessive passions, because having multiple passions is healthy.

“Passion is an intense desire to do something that you want to do for hours every week,” Lerner said. “Passions take about three years to form and begin as interest.”