French-Canadian film 'Hochelaga, Land of Souls' to be screened in Park Library

19293_logot

The Canadian historical drama “Hochelaga, Land of Souls” will be shown at Central Michigan University at 7 p.m. on March 26 in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium in the Charles V. Park Library.

The screening, sponsored by the Québec government through the CMU department of World Languages and Cultures, is designed to celebrate Le Mois de la Francophonie, a month-long worldwide celebration of French language and culture. 

The presentation will be hosted by Martin Dionne, Public & Governmental Affairs Officer from the Québec Delegation at Chicago. Dionne will introduce the film and take part in a Q&A afterwards.

“Hochelaga, Land of Souls,” directed by internationally acclaimed director François Girard, will be shown in French with English subtitles. The film tells the story of Mohawk archaeologist Baptiste Asigny, a man assigned to investigate a sinkhole that opened in Montreal’s Percival Molson Memorial Stadium. 

The story introduces Asigny’s discoveries with real historical events that happened in the area, including those involving the archaeologist’s ancestors and French explorers.

World languages and cultures chairperson Amy Ransom thinks that the film and Q&A may help students broaden their views on current cultural conflicts.

“It’s still important for us to understand from both sides what that experience of two cultures coming into contact was like,” Ransom said. “Those conflicts are at the root of issues that we’re still facing today about diversity.”

Before the film screening, Dionne will be hosting a free lunch with students from 12:30-1:30 p.m.

This event is free and open to the public.