Students party at the SAC for annual 'Up All Night' event

dsc-0427-8
Students explore the various activities offered at Up All Night in the Student Activities Center on Friday, March 15.

Central Michigan University students took a break from their studies this weekend to participate in the annual "Up All Night" event, which took place Friday evening in the Student Activity Center. 

Hosted by the Office of Student Activities and Involvement, "Up All Night" offered many different activities including bouncy courses, swimming, bowling, table tennis and roller skating, from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. 

The first 1,000 students who arrived received a free "Up All Night" t-shirt, and many student were seen sporting the shirt throughout the night.

Student volunteers helped run the event and seemed to be having fun alongside their fellow students. Naja Malone, a junior from Chicago, has gone to "Up All Night" every year since freshman year and volunteered for the first time this year.

“I feel like this one had a bigger turn out, but I’m not sure if it’s because I’m volunteering this year,” she said. "I think my favorite part is the people that (the organizers) bring in for the little odd things, like there was a year where you got your face etched into a square, just all the things you can do to have some fun and relax and forget about whatever you’ve got going on.”

Chicago junior Tanjanica Williams was also a first-time volunteer for "Up All Night." She was most looking forward to getting off from her volunteer shift and going skating with her fellow students.

There was also live music featured at the event from a DJ and local alternative rock band Car Crash Rhetoric. 

The makeshift dance floor usually had at least a few students dancing, but one student in particular attracted attention. Davison senior Austin Szumowicz attends "Up All Night" every year and enjoys the opportunity to dance the most.

“There’s not many places that can go to dance and this place has always been a blast 100 percent,” he said. “I stay basically until the whole thing is over. Almost every time I come here I get into at least one dance battle, so I’m just waiting for that to happen.”