Mount Pleasant Police Department accepting applications for Youth Services Academy

The application deadline is Monday, June 17

Kids learn how to put on handcuffs on July 20 during youth police academy. 

The Mount Pleasant Police Department is accepting applications for the 19th annual Youth Services Academy.

The free program will take place 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 8-25. Applications are available at the Department of Public Safety, located at 804 E. High St. The deadline to submit applications is Monday, June 17.

The Youth Services Academy gives students in grades 6-8 a taste of what it takes to become a police officer. The program is conducted the same way a real police academy would be, including physical training and lessons about law enforcement practices.

The academy stresses teamwork, integrity and discipline. Participants will engage in physical training and agility tests – the same as cadets in a standard police academy.

Curriculum covers a variety of topics including crime scene investigation, traffic stops, defensive driving and firearms safety. There will also be demonstrations from specialized units like the SWAT team, K-9 units and the Department of Natural Resources.

For more information, contact Officer Brandon Bliss from the Mount Pleasant Police Department by email at bbliss@mt-pleasant.org or by phone at (989) 506-2714.